Thread: Sore

Unhappy Sore

My paraplegic son has an open area on his scrotum on the inside of his leg. He sweats so much and this happened. His urologist said it happens all the time.
    I use Readi Dry and that has helped very much but what can I put on this sore to heal it up? It has gotten a bit worse and I need to do something for it. Any recommendations would help and I am also considering taking him to wound care.

would suggest an absorptive dressing and consider using a athletic jock strap which would keep the scrotum from having pressure and it may occur during transfer.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

CWO, which dressing would you recommend? The jock strap sounds like a good idea once I get this open sore healed. Is there any special ointment I should use along with the dressing?
    Thank you,
    DavesMom

I use Mepilex Border. If its an open wound, I use Mepilex AG with it. I put antiperspirant on every day. Not deodorant. Also he should learn to let it air out, so to speak, by sitting spread legged. Maybe wear a kilt

All good suggestions above. If it doesn't begin to heal, I would let your physician know and see if he/she recommends anything else, since I am assuming that they have seen the wound.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I forgot too. He should get in the habit of washing his crotch when he caths, or does his bowel program. If he doesn't do either he should wash once a day. It would be good if he would come on here.

I would also put some medihoney on the sore

I would also recommend Medihoney for a wound like this. It needs to then be covered with an absorptive dressing...ideally a foam dressing like non-adhesive Alyvyn.

A "swimmer's support" or suspensory is the type of jock strap you may want to explore. This can be used instead of underwear, and can also be used to hold the dressing or wicking material in place.

A wicking fabric can laid or taped into folds and areas where there is skin-to-skin contact and is best used for prevention. I like Interdry.
    https://www.amazon.com/Coloplast-Int.../dp/B00427Q0VK

Also, make it a practice to wash the entire groin and genital area at bedtime, rinse and dry well, and then position in bed on his back in a frog position for about an hour, allowing complete air exposure to the scrotum and groin area. Avoid using heavy amounts of powder, as this often just cakes and makes matters worse.

(KLD)