Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new ultralight wheelchair

Any thought about a Lasher Magnesium?

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    did u increase ft angle to compensate for shorter frame?? im 6'2 and currently have a tr3 with 17w x16d + 2 inches. 85 frt angle. i was considering +3 on new ride or +2 with 80 frt end. im leggy, so my legs are bent at the knee a good bit, i find i move my feet forward often.
    Yes, I increased the front angle bend in order to compensate for decreasing the frame depth from 18.5" to 16". Unless you have very long legs, what's the sense in the frame protruding several inches ahead of the seat depth? Doing so interferes with transfers. This wasn't a problem before but it has become a problem since my hip joints have loosened up to the point where my knees spread apart when transferring. The result of the front angle bend protruding several inches ahead of the seat is that it becomes a trap from my knee to enter the space under the bend and get stuck while transferring into the wheelchair. If the front angle bend starts immediately at the seat, then there is not enough space for the knee to enter the space underneath it.

I can't see a problem with eliminating the extra tubing in front of the seat as long as the down tubes are just slightly ahead of the shins (for protection). I do see a problem with reducing the user occupied depth, which is decreased stability. Still, I want to pull in my footrest to make transfers easier. Hence, I decreased the frame depth as much as possible without going negative (frame depth = seat depth) while decreasing the user occupied depth just a bit (22.8" -> 22") Even that may risk stability. That's a hard one to tell without actually building it or at least software simulation. I am waiting to see what TiLite says.

By the way, I am not a fan of 90 degree front angle bends because items fall off the luggage carriers. With an 85 degree front angle bend or less, items lean back and stay on. Items leaning back onto your shins risk pressure sores so you don't want to recess the frame depth too much. You want the down tubes just slightly ahead of your shins but no more than necessary to protect your shins.
    Last edited by August West; 05-20-2018 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    The result of the front angle bend protruding several inches ahead of the seat is that it becomes a trap from my knee to enter the space under the bend and get stuck while transferring into the wheelchair. If the front angle bend starts immediately at the seat, then there is not enough space for the knee to enter the space underneath it.
    I have a very similarly sized ZR series 2 and I worry about this all the time. There's just enough room for my knee to get in there, and if I mess around one day and don't notice it flopped in there before I transfer it seems like a recipe for a snapped femur.

But anywho if you're sticking with the ZR vs TR side of things it looks like you've got it as light as you possibly can unless you can reduce the width.

Do you really need NEED 16" of width?

I'm 6' tall too, though I've always been fairly slim. My first chair was 16" wide because they wanted to give me room to "spread" as they put it. Well once the muscles atrophied away off my thighs, I fit into a 13" chair the next time around and it fits like a glove. I've got just enough room to slide the fingers of one hand between my hip and the side guard, but definitely cannot stick a hand on each side at the same time. makes for a very slightly lighter chair, but also a better fitting more responsive chair

im opposite i like the extra tubing, more grab area and really works better with my long legs. everyone is different. good luck.
    Yes, I increased the front angle bend in order to compensate for decreasing the frame depth from 18.5" to 16". Unless you have very long legs, what's the sense in the frame protruding several inches ahead of the seat depth? Doing so interferes with transfers. This wasn't a problem before but it has become a problem since my hip joints have loosened up to the point where my knees spread apart when transferring. The result of the front angle bend protruding several inches ahead of the seat is that it becomes a trap from my knee to enter the space under the bend and get stuck while transferring into the wheelchair. If the front angle bend starts immediately at the seat, then there is not enough space for the knee to enter the space underneath it.

I can't see a problem with eliminating the extra tubing in front of the seat as long as the down tubes are just slightly ahead of the shins (for protection). I do see a problem with reducing the user occupied depth, which is decreased stability. Still, I want to pull in my footrest to make transfers easier. Hence, I decreased the frame depth as much as possible without going negative (frame depth = seat depth) while decreasing the user occupied depth just a bit (22.8" -> 22") Even that may risk stability. That's a hard one to tell without actually building it or at least software simulation. I am waiting to see what TiLite says.

By the way, I am not a fan of 90 degree front angle bends because items fall off the luggage carriers. With an 85 degree front angle bend or less, items lean back and stay on. Items leaning back onto your shins risk pressure sores so you don't want to recess the frame depth too much. You want the down tubes just slightly ahead of your shins but no more than necessary to protect your shins.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    You might not like what I have to say, so be it. What is your main purpose, going out for dinner or playing with your kids? Dinner requires an a chair with a short wheelbase and low knee height and probably small wheels to fit in restaurants. Traveling over grass, cobbles, rough terrain etc works better with a long wheelbase and large casters. The best casters I have found that are more or less easily obtained are the 8 inch pneumatics. My feeling is that to play with your kids, fix up a chair off of Craigslist or where ever with 8 inchers or get it new to fit and use the old one inside only.
    Thank you for your input. This is for an everyday chair that will be optimal at best for an indoor/pavement chair, with some versatility with a 5"x1.5" (maybe 4x1.5") front caster. I do have a freewheel and for hiking and complete offroad type trials, I'll utilize that. The wheelbase information is spot on, but I think I'll deal with slightly shorter wheelbase for overall maneuverability. I also have a set of spinergy wheels with 2.5" tires that I use for camping and all terrain usage.

We are very similar. I'm T8 and 5'11". I spec my wheelchair for indoors and attach a freewheel for grass and off road tires if necessary. I am changing my new wheelchair almost exactly the same way as you. Here is what I have and what I am ordering. Make sure you have enough dump. You need to be secure in the wheelchair when off-roading. 2" is minimum dump and add more depending on your balance and how hard you want to push. I found 1.5" dump wasn't good enough especially when leaning down to reach the footplate. If you have extra height then you need to compensate with even more dump. 3" would be even better for balance and pushing. But then it's harder to get in and out with a Ride Custom cushion (this is much less of an issue with a foam cushion). When I ordered my present wheelchair several years ago, I increased the height to better reach stuff. But I don't like the way I push when sitting too high. Strokes are shorter when sitting higher so it's less arm and more shoulder doing the work. When sitting lower I get more arm and less shoulder doing the work. Another reason to lower the seat height is because most stuff I transfer to is lower than my wheelchair so lowering the wheelchair makes transferring easier (most of the time). Decreasing the frame depth helps getting closer to stuff which helps transfers and access. 5" x 1.5" casters seem like a good idea. But they hit my shoes when turning. I go with 4" x 1.5" for the additional clearance.
    I currently use a 2.5" dump but think I would be fine with a 2" dump. I have a 3" dump on my basketball chair and for everyday purposes the 2" or 2.5" dump should suffice. My current height and planned decrease of height by 1" should keep me in a very comfortable push stroke similar to my basketball chair. I am keeping in mind my shoulder health and push efficiency as I have had a torn labrum and shoulder tendonitis already. If I decide to go with the 5x1.5" casters I do plan on having 85deg angle with a taper to a 10" footrest width (currently 12") and with the CAD I would make sure my feet have enough clearance for the caster.

Quote Originally Posted by Stsmark View Post
    Any thought about a Lasher Magnesium?
    I don't believe Lasher is approved by medicare...which means my private insurance through work would not pay for it. I have great coverage for private insurance so I would have to stick to that since it covers 100% of everything I ordered in the past 3 years including a smart drive and my spinergy carbon blade wheels.
    http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post

Do you really need NEED 16" of width?

I'm 6' tall too, though I've always been fairly slim. My first chair was 16" wide because they wanted to give me room to "spread" as they put it. Well once the muscles atrophied away off my thighs, I fit into a 13" chair the next time around and it fits like a glove. I've got just enough room to slide the fingers of one hand between my hip and the side guard, but definitely cannot stick a hand on each side at the same time. makes for a very slightly lighter chair, but also a better fitting more responsive chair
    I have a 14" wide basketball chair and a 14" wide race chair and I ordered it this way so it's super tight and more responsive. In regards to a day chair I think I can fit into a 15" comfortably but all of my cushions are 16"x18". I'm sure I can order all 15" width cushions again but my trochanter's both have some calcification (heterotypic ossification) and I'm worried it'll continue to get worse in the future. There is no HO in the joint itself, just on the outer portion of my trochanters which is weird. I work in the same acute rehab I did my SCI rehab and I am consulting with my PT about this wheelchair too. I'll have him measure me up really closely to see if it's a good idea to go with a 15" wide as I do realize a nice snug fit will benefit me in my seating posture too.

So in regards to TR vs ZR arguments, if all measurements are the same, the design of the TR will have less frame flexibility due to the dual tube design and should weight about the same to each other. My DME is bringing a Motion Composites Apex wheelchair for me to test out but again I plan on getting the TI with Superlite package because of frame durability (less scratches and wear and tear due to transferring and disassembling the wheelchair in and out of the car).

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.

Quote Originally Posted by outkastsl View Post
    I have a 14" wide basketball chair and a 14" wide race chair and I ordered it this way so it's super tight and more responsive. In regards to a day chair I think I can fit into a 15" comfortably but all of my cushions are 16"x18". I'm sure I can order all 15" width cushions again but my trochanter's both have some calcification (heterotypic ossification) and I'm worried it'll continue to get worse in the future. There is no HO in the joint itself, just on the outer portion of my trochanters which is weird. I work in the same acute rehab I did my SCI rehab and I am consulting with my PT about this wheelchair too. I'll have him measure me up really closely to see if it's a good idea to go with a 15" wide as I do realize a nice snug fit will benefit me in my seating posture too.

So in regards to TR vs ZR arguments, if all measurements are the same, the design of the TR will have less frame flexibility due to the dual tube design and should weight about the same to each other. My DME is bringing a Motion Composites Apex wheelchair for me to test out but again I plan on getting the TI with Superlite package because of frame durability (less scratches and wear and tear due to transferring and disassembling the wheelchair in and out of the car).
    I feel your pain, man I got HO my hip joint as well, but it's anterior (like on the "front" part) of the hip, so it just makes my right hip a little less flexible than the left and a little higher when in the sitting position. I don't think it's super unusual to have the ossification outside of the hip joint itself, mine is in the muscle and tissue surrounding the joint and I think that's pretty normal.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I feel your pain, man I got HO my hip joint as well, but it's anterior (like on the "front" part) of the hip, so it just makes my right hip a little less flexible than the left and a little higher when in the sitting position. I don't think it's super unusual to have the ossification outside of the hip joint itself, mine is in the muscle and tissue surrounding the joint and I think that's pretty normal.
    I work with my PT that I did my acute rehab with and he said it?s pretty normal since I?m about 16 years post injury.

The MC Apex is going to be my next chair. It's light, looks good and reasonably priced. To me that Carbon Black II chair is fugly. If you have your heart set on Tilite, they are fine too. (I'm in a ZRA v2, spec'd to be as light as possible.) I just want something different for my next chair.

My indoor chair is a Topend Terminator Titanium with adjustable rear camber. It's over 14 years old and I've never had any issues with it. (FYI, it's lighter than my Tilite.) I'm able to set my camber at 9 degrees. With a freewheel, that would be a very stable chair to take outdoors to play with your children.

BTW, has anyone had a bad experience with the Apex?
    Last edited by fasdude; 05-24-2018 at 10:11 AM.

I was able to check out the MC Apex wheelchair, it looked nice but since it's still pretty new I was weary of ordering it for durability reasons. I had my wheelchair fitting last week and I am ordering a TiLite ZR, lava black, superlite package, 15"x18" frame, 19"FSH, 16.5 RSH, 90degree front angle 25" Carbon Blade wheels with titanium axles and pushrims, 5"x1.5" casters, fixed back rest at 90deg, 13" tall back rest height, ADI carbon fiber seat pan, Roho Agility Carbon 10" low contour backrest, 3.5" COG, and requesting a new smartdrive MX2+. Waiting for the CAD to approve then will have it submitted through my insurance which has a quick turnaround time for approval.