Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new ultralight wheelchair

Lightbulb Time for a new ultralight wheelchair

My current TiLite ZR2 is 5 years old and I have a wheelchair fitting on 5/29/2018. I've only had TiLite and love the durability and weight. So far I've had the TRA series 1, ZR series 1, and now the ZR series 2. My problem now is making sure I get the lightest possible chair and I'm struggling with going with the TR series 3 and ZR series 3 with black series package, superlite package, non-adjustable fixed back, non-removable carbon fiber side guards profiled to the wheels, Roho Carbon Agility low contour 10" tall, carbon fiber seat pan, and with Roho Hybrid dual compartment and/or Ride Java (I have both).

Current dimensions (new dimensions listed second)
    Seat Width 16", 16"
    Seat Length 18", 17"
    Front Seat Height 19.5", 18.5"
    Rear Seat Height 17", 16.5" (change to 2"dump)
    Seat to Foot Rest 17.5", 16.5" (legs swept under the chair a little)
    Rear wheel size 26", 25"
    COG 3", 3.5"
    Front Angle 85deg, 85deg (maybe 90deg but will need to get custom for 5x1.5 or 6x1.5 casters)
    Front Caster 4"x1.5, 5"x1.5" with slipstream

I'm T7 complete ASIA A and 6' tall 16 years post injury. I want a slightly smaller footprint with the 17" seat length/depth and seat height with a 2" dump. I can't get under all tables so that's why I'm trying to lower it about 1". The seat to footrest height should allow my feet to be swept back a bit to accommodate the lower seat height. I'm very active with 2.5yo twins and I'm trying to make sure my new chair can be a bit easier to push on most terrain (gravel, packed dirt, grass, parks, etc.) which is why I want the 5"x1.5" (was hoping to get 6"x1.5" but will not be accommodated on the slipstream fork).

Let me know what you guys think so far about these dimensions, pros/cons of the ZR vs TR, what some concerns you might have and if I'm on the right track.
    http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.

I would definitely consider the Motion Composites Carbon fiber chairs, they make both folding ones the Veloce which is what I have and the non folding the APEX in either aluminum or Carbon Fiber. My chair is 17 wide and the frame weighs around 17 lbs. I'm also 6 feet tall. I've had mine over a year and no issue with it.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I would definitely consider the Motion Composites Carbon fiber chairs, they make both folding ones the Veloce which is what I have and the non folding the APEX in either aluminum or Carbon Fiber. My chair is 17 wide and the frame weighs around 17 lbs. I'm also 6 feet tall. I've had mine over a year and no issue with it.
    i agree with curt. im getting ready to order a carbon apex.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Here's another alternative for a great price.

Push me to the limit,
    maybe I may bend,
    but I will not be broken.
    -Bonnie Raitt

i've taken a look at the Apex and the carbon black, but with the way I transfer the wheelchair in and out, i'm worried the composite isn't going to be durable enough. I did ask my DME to see if they can get an Apex for me to check out as a demo. I dont think the carbon black is on the list for insurance to pay for it.
    http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.

Quote Originally Posted by outkastsl View Post
    ,,,I'm T7 complete ASIA A and 6' tall 16 years post injury. I want a slightly smaller footprint with the 17" seat length/depth and seat height with a 2" dump. I can't get under all tables so that's why I'm trying to lower it about 1". The seat to footrest height should allow my feet to be swept back a bit to accommodate the lower seat height. I'm very active with 2.5yo twins and I'm trying to make sure my new chair can be a bit easier to push on most terrain (gravel, packed dirt, grass, parks, etc.) which is why I want the 5"x1.5" (was hoping to get 6"x1.5" but will not be accommodated on the slipstream fork)....
    You might not like what I have to say, so be it. What is your main purpose, going out for dinner or playing with your kids? Dinner requires an a chair with a short wheelbase and low knee height and probably small wheels to fit in restaurants. Traveling over grass, cobbles, rough terrain etc works better with a long wheelbase and large casters. The best casters I have found that are more or less easily obtained are the 8 inch pneumatics. My feeling is that to play with your kids, fix up a chair off of Craigslist or where ever with 8 inchers or get it new to fit and use the old one inside only.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

We are very similar. I'm T8 and 5'11". I spec my wheelchair for indoors and attach a freewheel for grass and off road tires if necessary. I am changing my new wheelchair almost exactly the same way as you. Here is what I have and what I am ordering. Make sure you have enough dump. You need to be secure in the wheelchair when off-roading. 2" is minimum dump and add more depending on your balance and how hard you want to push. I found 1.5" dump wasn't good enough especially when leaning down to reach the footplate. If you have extra height then you need to compensate with even more dump. 3" would be even better for balance and pushing. But then it's harder to get in and out with a Ride Custom cushion (this is much less of an issue with a foam cushion). When I ordered my present wheelchair several years ago, I increased the height to better reach stuff. But I don't like the way I push when sitting too high. Strokes are shorter when sitting higher so it's less arm and more shoulder doing the work. When sitting lower I get more arm and less shoulder doing the work. Another reason to lower the seat height is because most stuff I transfer to is lower than my wheelchair so lowering the wheelchair makes transferring easier (most of the time). Decreasing the frame depth helps getting closer to stuff which helps transfers and access. 5" x 1.5" casters seem like a good idea. But they hit my shoes when turning. I go with 4" x 1.5" for the additional clearance.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by August West; 05-18-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    A properly tuned Freewheel will increase dump by ~1", so if you're planning on using a Freewheel you might want to account for this in your everyday spec.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    We are very similar. I'm T8 and 5'11". I spec my wheelchair for indoors and attach a freewheel for grass and off road tires if necessary...
    I forgot about the Freewheel, that is an excellent alternative. My three wheeler is patterned after the Freewheel design, shorter and smaller caster.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

did u increase ft angle to compensate for shorter frame?? im 6'2 and currently have a tr3 with 17w x16d + 2 inches. 85 frt angle. i was considering +3 on new ride or +2 with 80 frt end. im leggy, so my legs are bent at the knee a good bit, i find i move my feet forward often.
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    We are very similar. I'm T8 and 5'11". I spec my wheelchair for indoors and attach a freewheel for grass and off road tires if necessary. I am changing my new wheelchair almost exactly the same way as you. Here is what I have and what I am ordering. Make sure you have enough dump. You need to be secure in the wheelchair when off-roading. 2" is minimum dump and add more depending on your balance and how hard you want to push. I found 1.5" dump wasn't good enough especially when leaning down to reach the footplate. If you have extra height then you need to compensate with even more dump. 3" would be even better for balance and pushing. But then it's harder to get in and out with a Ride Custom cushion (this is much less of an issue with a foam cushion). When I ordered my present wheelchair several years ago, I increased the height to better reach stuff. But I don't like the way I push when sitting too high. Strokes are shorter when sitting higher so it's less arm and more shoulder doing the work. When sitting lower I get more arm and less shoulder doing the work. Another reason to lower the seat height is because most stuff I transfer to is lower than my wheelchair so lowering the wheelchair makes transferring easier (most of the time). Decreasing the frame depth helps getting closer to stuff which helps transfers and access. 5" x 1.5" casters seem like a good idea. But they hit my shoes when turning. I go with 4" x 1.5" for the additional clearance.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer