Thread: Shoulder issue

Shoulder issue

So I'm progressing through my left humerus fracture nicely, but now I have an issue with my right arm (shoulder?). C4/5 quad. Sleep on my back, right arm rests by my side. I live alone, so if/when I get hot in bed, I'll kinda pivot my elbow and try to knock my blanket down. Last night it was a simple sheet. Suddenly when doing so I felt a 'pop' in the back of my shoulder, right at the shoulder/arm joint. I then had what felt like a 'shock' move down my arm, followed by spasms in my arm. It felt like I somehow dislocated it. I went to the ER, where xrays were negative for fractures/dislocation. I was discharged, told it may just be a muscle tweak. It is not 12 hours later, and my shoulder feels "odd" to me. It also feels like it has tightened up through the day, and also feels as if there is tightness or something in my bicep area.. I have pain in the back of my shoulder joint when I move it certain ways. I seem to have my normal movement/ROM. I have a call into my ortho, but until, am at a loss.

landrover, this has happened to me more than once, and it has always resolved on its own - but it takes weeks or months, no quick fix. Who knows if this is correct, but my neuro told me it was due to acute-onset cervical nerve compression that happened when I moved just a millimeter the wrong way, impacting disc herniations in my C-spine. That area will always be subject to injury, it's a "weak link" - so I'm careful not to push, pull or lift to excess. Heat helps. Be patient with your shoulder - it might be several weeks before it returns to baseline. Hope the ortho can give you more info.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Playing doctor for a bit on the internets, rotator cuff tear and/or labrum tear seem to fit more my symptoms. I appreciate your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Playing doctor for a bit on the internets, rotator cuff tear and/or labrum tear seem to fit more my symptoms. I appreciate your feedback.
    Yes, that certainly does fit the picture.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Sounds like you stressed a tendon. Best thing to take is an NSAID such as Aleve or Ibuprofen. And put ice on it for 48 hours then possibly heat after. It might be sore for a couple of weeks. If pain worsens then you need to have it checked out. CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.