Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: under-vehicle-wheelchair-lifts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

under-vehicle-wheelchair-lifts

How bad or good are under vehicle lifts. Jim of AI weighed in about 9 months ago completely condemning them due to road damage and grit buildup etc. But does anyone have one? I have seen a few, very few advertised. In Brauns web ad they indicated the underbodies might be more expensive than a more conventional lift. https://www.braunability.com/under-v...eelchair-lift/
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

So far, I've had 5 years of nearly trouble free service on my Braun UVL in Wisconsin. I park my van in a well insulated garage. I also park it in my heated shop in snowy weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Prerun View Post
    So far, I've had 5 years of nearly trouble free service on my Braun UVL in Wisconsin. I park my van in a well insulated garage. I also park it in my heated shop in snowy weather.
    This sounds great. Do you drive in the snow, icy conditions with salt on the road? I would think bringing that crap into a heated environment would speed up rusting, apparently not.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    This sounds great. Do you drive in the snow, icy conditions with salt on the road? I would think bringing that crap into a heated environment would speed up rusting, apparently not.
    Its a high maintenance lift. Probably the most high maintenance lift (and expensive) you can buy.

Its not rocket science but neither is preventive maintenance, yet most people don't take care of there stuff.

Then theres the ground clearance issues.

Ive seen others install them and have under 4" of ground clearance.

In most cases you need to build a custom exhaust system and if you want a little more clearance install a new driveshaft system.

We still have a few in service and even just took a older full size Chevy in trade with one in it thats still working really good.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    Its a high maintenance lift. Probably the most high maintenance lift (and expensive) you can buy.

Its not rocket science but neither is preventive maintenance, yet most people don't take care of there stuff.

Then theres the ground clearance issues.

Ive seen others install them and have under 4" of ground clearance.

In most cases you need to build a custom exhaust system and if you want a little more clearance install a new driveshaft system.

We still have a few in service and even just took a older full size Chevy in trade with one in it thats still working really good.

Jim
    Custom exhaust-check, ground clearance-check. This was a fun project my brother built.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Custom exhaust-check, ground clearance-check. This was a fun project my brother built.

that thing is awesome looking man
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Hack, your brother treats you right. Probably everyone here starting with me wishes they had one who would/could fix them up with such a sweet ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    ....In most cases you need to build a custom exhaust system and if you want a little more clearance install a new driveshaft system.
    ...Jim
    I forgot about the exhaust. When I used to crawl under there without jacking the rig up, it seemed like there was a ton of ground clearance. So I was erroneously thinking the lift could just be slammed up against the frame without moving anything. Oh well I did look at a van with a folding lift and it wasn't too intrusive floor space wise.

Wow, ya very low ground clearance
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Here's a picture of my van with the UVL. It does hang down, but the van is a 4x4 so it sits higher than stock

Push me to the limit,
    maybe I may bend,
    but I will not be broken.
    -Bonnie Raitt