Within the last six months or so I've been experiencing arm numbness and tingling with a very slight reduction in arm strength and sensation when I turn my head to the left or look up in the sky. So I had an MRI done in April, and the results are below. I visited my neurosurgeon at Stanford (Dr. Larry Shuerer) and the only solution is surgery.

Anyone else with this problem, what was your decision and was the surgery successful?

Also, can anyone recommend a neurosurgeon at UCSF for a second opinion?

My main concern is;

C3-C4: Posterior disc osteophyte complex, uncovertebral hypertrophy and facet arthrosis resulting in moderate spinal canal stenosis, contacting and mildly flattening the spinal cord, and moderate right with severe left neural foraminal narrowing, progressed from the previous exam.

C5-C6: Posterior disc osteophyte complex, uncovertebral hypertrophy and facet arthrosis resulting in moderate spinal canal stenosis and severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing, progressed from previous exam.

Narrative[/h]MRI CERVICAL SPINE WITHOUT CONTRAST: 4/11/2018 13:30

CLINICAL HISTORY: 44 years of age, Male, with history of quadriplegia following spinal cord injury.

COMPARISON: MRI cervical spine on 9/12/2012

PROCEDURE COMMENTS: MRI of the cervical spine was performed without intravenous contrast at 3 Tesla. The following MR sequences were obtained: 3 plane localizer SSFSE, sagittal T2, sagittal T1, sagittal STIR, axial T2, and axial MERGE.

FINDINGS:

Alignment: Redemonstrated postsurgical changes of C4-C5 anterior cervical discectomy and fixation. Reversal of normal cervical lordotic curvature in the upper cervical spine.

Bone marrow: Normal for age.

Vertebrae: The vertebral body heights are maintained. Multilevel degenerative changes, as follows:

C2-C3: Minimal posterior disc osteophyte complex mildly effacing the ventral CSF space without significant spinal canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.

C3-C4: Posterior disc osteophyte complex, uncovertebral hypertrophy and facet arthrosis resulting in moderate spinal canal stenosis, contacting and mildly flattening the spinal cord, and moderate right with severe left neural foraminal narrowing, progressed from the previous exam.

C4-C5: Small posterior disc osteophyte complex and uncovertebral hypertrophy mildly effacing the ventral CSF space and resulting in mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing without significant spinal canal stenosis.

C5-C6: Posterior disc osteophyte complex, uncovertebral hypertrophy and facet arthrosis resulting in moderate spinal canal stenosis and severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing, progressed from previous exam.

C6-C7: Minimal uncovertebral hypertrophy and facet arthrosis without significant spinal canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.

C7-T1: No significant spinal canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.

Cord: Small syrinx with myelomalacia at the C4-C5 level, similar to the previous exam.

Extra-vertebral soft tissues: Normal.