Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Offroad/All terrain wheels

Quote Originally Posted by luisguillermo View Post
    Also, if I got the kendas and put them on a 1 inch rim I have laying around what kind of tube should I get?
    You will need wider tubes. Kenda sells 24 x 1.95-2.1 tubes (50-540 ETRTO)

Also, with tires that wide you may not need a handrim. It may be easier to just push the tires.

I have these 2.1" Kenda knobbies for taking my dog to the dog park. They'd probably still be a struggle over gravel and sand. I'm not sure how wide a tire has to be in order to be effective on sand and gravel. But you don't want to go any wider than necessary. Because at some point you can't effectively push the handrims and at some point you can't effectively push the tire directly. I don't know where that cut off point is. It would be interesting to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    My 507 rims with Maxxis Holy Rollers are a near perfect ride height match for my 559 Spinergy LX wheels with Marathon Pro tires.
    Exactly what I am looking for. Can you interchange the two without having to adjust the brakes? How about rear axle spacing?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Exactly what I am looking for. Can you interchange the two without having to adjust the brakes? How about rear axle spacing?
    Unfortunately the hubs I use are no longer available. They include a ~1" offset on the inner potion that spaces them out from the frame. This can also be accomplished using washers/spacers on the axles if they are long enough. I use D's Locks, so no issues at all with wheellocks, but I'd imagine regular clamp style would work OK. The tire sizes aren't 100% exact, but maybe .2" difference, knobbies being ever so slightly taller. Air pressure is very different too, 65 vs 145 psi, so that may be well enough to make the slight difference in size no probable from a clamping perspective. Not 100% sure though.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    I have these 2.1" Kenda knobbies for taking my dog to the dog park. They'd probably still be a struggle over gravel and sand. I'm not sure how wide a tire has to be in order to be effective on sand and gravel. But you don't want to go any wider than necessary. Because at some point you can't effectively push the handrims and at some point you can't effectively push the tire directly. I don't know where that cut off point is. It would be interesting to know.
    I live on The Chesapeake Bay, and I've yet to find any tire that works effectively over sand. Gravel is hell, too. Without a Freewheel I don't even bother. With a Freewheel, my 2.95" Maxxis still suck.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I live on The Chesapeake Bay, and I've yet to find any tire that works effectively over sand. Gravel is hell, too. Without a Freewheel I don't even bother. With a Freewheel, my 2.95" Maxxis still suck.
    May be I'm showing my age. But sand is a miserable experience not worth it. Even if you don't sink in you've got to clean the sand out of the wheelchair afterward. Hard gravel can be managed. But still a miserable experience.

Las Vegas is almost as bad. They have the extra soft padding on their carpets for the "luxury" of sinking in. Each push feels like I gained 100 pounds.

Unfortunately the hubs I use are no longer available. They include a ~1" offset on the inner potion that spaces them out from the frame. This can also be accomplished using washers/spacers on the axles if they are long enough. I use D's Locks, so no issues at all with wheellocks, but I'd imagine regular clamp style would work OK. The tire sizes aren't 100% exact, but maybe .2" difference, knobbies being ever so slightly taller. Air pressure is very different too, 65 vs 145 psi, so that may be well enough to make the slight difference in size no probable from a clamping perspective. Not 100% sure though.
    D Locks are a great idea. I wonder if those Kenda tires on 540 rims would be a close fit to Marthon Pro tires on 559 rims.

D Locks are a great idea. I wonder if those Kenda tires on 540 rims would be a close fit to Marthon Pro tires on 559 rims.
    I just went through this and ended up buying the Spinergy Sumo's. While I do not have my chair yet (Newbie T10C here) it is spec'ed to have 559 wheels with the Marthon's. I was suggested to go with the 50-501's instead of the larger 54-540's for a couple reasons but the big one was making sure the brakes still work without needing to be adjusted and they also said they would prefer that I had more "dump" then less to be more stable when off the beaten path.

Here are the diameters, if I did my math correctly:
    50-501 (22") 600MM
    25-559 (25"/Actually 26" wheels....they make it confusing for sure) 609MM (I found this number on a chart, my math showed 639MM)
    54-540 (24") 658MM

While there is not a great selection of 22" tires there are the Kenda's that come on the Sumo's which get good reviews.

I cannot attest to the accuracy of my calculations but they seem to make sense so with the 50-501's I will have anywhere from 4.5MM-19.5MM more dump. I will better be able to answer this in a week or so when my sexy carbon wheels show up.

Cheers,
    Jim

Here is a tire size calculator sheet so you can see the difference in total diameter and circumference between different wheel and tire combinations.

As you can see, these different combinations have very similar total diameters - meaning that you could interchange them without feeling much difference in your ride height, center of gravity, etc.:

24" 540 wheels with 1.00 inch (25mm) tires - Diameter 591mm
    24" 507 wheels with 1.75 inch (44mm) tires - Diameter 596mm
    26" 559 wheels with 0.78 inch (20mm) tires - Diameter 599mm

So between the 25-540 and the 20-559, you're only looking at a difference of 4mm increase in ride height and you probably would not have to adjust your brakes. (knobby tires may vary due to depth of tread)

These kinds of charts are all over the internet and are used to calculate cycling computers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks. The 2.1" Kenda Knobbies may need brake adjustment. But I can find another off-road tire that fits more closely. Good info.