Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offroad/All terrain wheels

Offroad/All terrain wheels

Hey guys,

I was hoping to get some advice on tires I can put on when going on trails or going to the beach. What are some affordable 2 inch rims and tires? If price wasn't a factor, which are the best rims and tires? I really like using my freewheel and smartdrive but my marathon plus tires always get stuck in sand and gravel roads so im hoping this will help with that. Thanks.

Also, should I get a different size wheel if I normally ride on 24's?
    Last edited by luisguillermo; 05-12-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    I use Syncros 507 rims, DT Swiss spokes, and Maxxis Holy Roller tires, with Rogue offset wheelchair hubs (no longer available). Holy Rollers are by far my favorite tire. 2.95" wide (on a 1.25" rim), with just enough tread but not enough to get clogged or track much.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

If your rims are standard 24" wheelchair rims, you need ETRTO size 540 tires. You can put a 2" tire on a standard width rim. But the 24"/540 size is a limiting factor as there are only four 2" tires I'm aware of in a size 540.

The first two are Kenda's NEVEGAL and KOBRA. Both of these come in a 50-540 size.
    Specialized has RHYTHM and the COMPOUND tires in a 24" size, but it's not clear if that's ETRTO 540 or 507.

Always use the ETRTO size! it's universal and exact.

If you want a better selection of tires that are 2 inches wide or more, you'll have to buy a new set of wheels. Sizes 507 and 559 offer many more choices in a wide tire. I recommend getting a set of 559 size wheels (bicycle size 26" and wheelchair size 25" are both ETRTO size 559). Then you'll have a hundred mountain bike tires to choose from.

If you do get tires that are 2" or wider on any size wheel, you may not be able to grab the handrim because the tires stick out too far. If so, you'll need to attach riv-nut mounted rims to the spokes. See my guide here.

If I were to build a set of off-road wheels and had an unlimited budget, I'd custom build a wheel using "fat bike" parts. These tires can get up to 5" wide, but the total build cost would be about $700 a pair.

Last edited by brian; 05-13-2018 at 02:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    My 507 rims with Maxxis Holy Rollers are a near perfect ride height match for my 559 Spinergy LX wheels with Marathon Pro tires.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

If you have ETRTO 507 there are some cheap options in tyres https://www.veetireco.com/listings/j...lty-crown-gem/ for example at $10 per tyre.

Disclaimer- I'm sponsored by Vee Tire on my powered off road wheelchair and receive product from them.

You also have to watch the fit. I have a set of 540 rims with 2 1/2 inch kenda knobbies. They are taller than my every day 559 by 1 inch wheels and tires. So the chair sits higher on the knobbies. The knobbies also have to be spaced out so they don't rub the chair.

Thanks! always trying to see what other people use.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    If your rims are standard 24" wheelchair rims, you need ETRTO size 540 tires. You can put a 2" tire on a standard width rim. But the 24"/540 size is a limiting factor as there are only four 2" tires I'm aware of in a size 540.

The first two are Kenda's NEVEGAL and KOBRA. Both of these come in a 50-540 size.
    Specialized has RHYTHM and the COMPOUND tires in a 24" size, but it's not clear if that's ETRTO 540 or 507.

If you want a better selection of tires that are 2 inches wide or more, you'll have to buy a new set of wheels. Sizes 507 and 559 offer many more choices in a wide tire. I recommend getting a set of 559 size wheels (bicycle size 26" and wheelchair size 25" are both ETRTO size 559). Then you'll have a hundred mountain bike tires to choose from.

If you do get tires that are 2" or wider on any size wheel, you may not be able to grab the handrim because the tires stick out too far. If so, you'll need to attach riv-nut mounted rims to the spokes. See my guide here.

If I were to build a set of off-road wheels and had an unlimited budget, I'd custom build a wheel using "fat bike" parts. These tires can get up to 5" wide, but the total build cost would be about $700 a pair.

Thanks for breaking that down for me. If you can fit 2 inch tires on one inch rims what are the advantages of using larger rims? Besides a larger range of wheel options.

That might actually work out perfectly. My freewheel makes my chair really tippy so that could help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    You also have to watch the fit. I have a set of 540 rims with 2 1/2 inch kenda knobbies. They are taller than my every day 559 by 1 inch wheels and tires. So the chair sits higher on the knobbies. The knobbies also have to be spaced out so they don't rub the chair.

Also, if I got the kendas and put them on a 1 inch rim I have laying around what kind of tube should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post