Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair fit and delivery inspection?

Wheelchair fit and delivery inspection?

Hello All,
    I am a total newbie at this whole thing and receiving my chair by the end of the month. Reading through a bunch of threads has made me think about the fitment of the chair and what to look for when the chair is delivered. I ordered a Tilite ZRA, I was measure by the sales guy and I figured that was that but now reading through a bunch of posts where people complain that their chair does not fit them well or issues with their chairs right off the bat.

So, being that I am a complete newbie what should I look for during the first fitting? When I was in inpatient rehab I was first put into a folding 40lb hospital chair and then they were nice enough to let me use an aluminum Quickie for three weeks, I will say the difference was amazing not only in comfort but also in performance. When I left inpatient they loaned me another 40lb folding chair which immediately cause some pretty bad lower back pain which I am still living with 7 weeks later. This has been my extent of experience with wheelchairs.

How do I know if my chair fits me well?

What should I look for during the pre-delivery inspection? I figure a once over to make sure all the fasteners look to be tightened make sure it sits square on the floor but anything else?

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Jim

What chair are you getting? Brand and model? With that info people here can tell you things to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    What chair are you getting? Brand and model? With that info people here can tell you things to look for.
    if you read his post he said a TiLite ZRA

regarding what you should look for is if you are comfortable in the chair IE no back pain can wheel effectively and such stuff, it will no doubt be lighter than the hunk of junk you have now but basically look for comfort make sure you are sitting in the chair not on the chair so to speak you have the axle of the back wheels down far enough so when you stretch your arms down the axle is at least to your middle finger if not a tad lower. and it is comfortable to wheel not straining your arms or shoulders.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Blog Entries
    Things I would check are:

- Finger tips touch the top/middle of the hubs with arms hanging down, relaxed.

- Heels touch footrest, preferably with slight downward angle.

- Axle position isn't too forward/rear tippy.

- Back Of legs have clearance from the front of seat pan

- Hips aren't rubbing wheels/flexing side guards out

- Adjust back angle to taste (I prefer 90deg to floor, with adjustable upholstery for small tweaks)

Those are the basics. A lot of these are set at build time, and initial measurement, but the ZRA has some wiggle room, which is good.

Good Luck!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Did you get a CAD drawing (blueprint) and sign off on it? It seems to me unless you are getting this chair "on approval of fit" about all you can do is check specifications (dimensions) and workmanship such as welds. The good news is that your chair will be a ZRA which is very adjustable, so the provider should be able to help you make it fit to suit you. If not post here with pictures of you sitting in chair. There are folks here who know these things backward and forward to give advice.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I am surprised you made this purchase without the guidance of a qualified PT/seating clinic. My insurance would never pay for my new chair without both. Sounds very odd to me. Did none of your physicians or PTs talk to you about the fitting... or the rep who sold it to you?

Quote Originally Posted by oncetherwasagirl View Post
    i am surprised you made this purchase without the guidance of a qualified pt/seating clinic. My insurance would never pay for my new chair without both. Sounds very odd to me. Did none of your physicians or pts talk to you about the fitting... Or the rep who sold it to you?
    most pt's ect dont know much, they think they do but if they arent in a chair they are really just making an educated guess. None of my ins has ever needed a pt for a new chair just lmn from my sci dr. Thats for last 30 yrs.private ins.

To op, if you didnt get a cad and approve it, well that may be a problem. i hope not. Was the sales guy in a chair?
    Last edited by fuentejps; 05-12-2018 at 02:35 PM.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    most pt's ect dont know much, they think they do but if they arent in a chair they are really just making an educated guess. None of my ins has ever needed a pt for a new chair just lmn from my sci dr. Thats for last 30 yrs.private ins.

To op, if you didnt get a cad and approve it, well that is a problem. Was the sales guy in a chair?

Does TiLite send a CAD by default for an adjustable chair? I seem to remember, from quite a while back, they might not.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Does TiLite send a CAD by default for an adjustable chair? I seem to remember, from quite a while back, they might not.
    needs requested. i am not certain if they send any out by default, i always request on every chair.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

My use of manual chair is limited. My first chair was manual but had to be pushed by others.
    Wish you had seating clinic done. Measurements posted already sound great.
    Only thing I'd add is if you have not demoed a model of this then try this one out in situations you normally will be doing.
    Check balance of your normal movements and stability of chair. If you are going be stowing in car, etc be sure you are able to reach hubs, lift, etc.
    Be sure think ahead, wearing jackets/coats, etc. and if enough room but not so much as end up leaning.
    If you have doubts, problems or a chair shows up with something other than ordered I'd suggest not accepting it.