Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I take up archery?

Question Can I take up archery?

Hi guys, do you think I could take up archery, I had a laminectomy at T8 in early Nov 17 for arachnoid cyst, and it was a minimal procedure without removing the spinous process.

There is a fantastic archery club near where I live, and I'd really like to do a few lessons, but I have read which muscles you need to draw the bow and they seem to be the same muscles that were cut open during surgery. also the doctor was like "go back to a normal lifestyle, but maybe avoid any strenuous or jarring activity".

so does anyone know whether archery would be classed as jarring or strenuous, are there any of you who do archery, and is it safe for the back?

Cheers,

Jade

You'll never know unless you try.

Bows can have different "draw weights", which is how much force is needed to pull back the string. A club should have bows with varying draw weights for you to try. You can call ahead to check.

I can't comment on if it's "safe for the back" or for your particular injury/surgery, but any load bearing repetitive motion can build muscle. just work your way up from lighter bows.

Again, you'll never know unless you try. Listen to you body, rest or stop when it says so.

Can you take up archery? It's totally up to you. Will it be the same and/or will you be as good as you used to be? Probably not. Well, at least not without time and practice.

And Like brian said "I can't comment on if it's "safe for the back" or for your particular injury/surgery, but any load bearing repetitive motion can build muscle. just work your way up from lighter bows." (Why reinvent the wheelchair - HA).

Good luck to you.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Archery is both a Paralympic sport, and a popular sport at the National Veterans Wheelchair Games in the USA (to which the UK sends a team).

Here is a video from the London (2012) Paralympics:

Since you are from the UK, I would recommend getting in touch with the British Wheelchair Archery Association for assistance in techniques and equipment: http://www.british-wheelchair-archery.org.uk/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    I love to shoot my bows! I'd ask your doctor if it's OK for your situation, but no reason not to try otherwise, IMO. I shoot mostly in the 45-65lb draw weight range, as an L1/T12 para. I mostly shoot pully-assisted compound bows, but dabble in recurve, as well. Non-compound is a more technical discipline, IMO.

Here I am teaching one of my (petite with low upper body strength) friends to shoot a 45lb compound bow. She had no issues.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Archery was my introduction to wheelchair sports and eventually ended up a Canadian National champion 1975-78. T6/7. We used to head to a Las Vegas tournament and shoot against the top ab's in the sport. Back then we only were allowed to shoot recurve bows under FITA rules. It's a perfect sport to get into. It'll strengthen the Rhomboids and help stretch the surrounding muscle groups. As a T/8 there is nothing that should stop you doing anything. My first step towards getting back to as normal a lifestyle as possible was to quit listening to doctors telling me what I can't do and showing myself what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Archery was my introduction to wheelchair sports and eventually ended up a Canadian National champion 1975-78. T6/7. We used to head to a Las Vegas tournament and shoot against the top ab's in the sport. Back then we only were allowed to shoot recurve bows under FITA rules. It's a perfect sport to get into. It'll strengthen the Rhomboids and help stretch the surrounding muscle groups. As a T/8 there is nothing that should stop you doing anything. My first step towards getting back to as normal a lifestyle as possible was to quit listening to doctors telling me what I can't do and showing myself what I can do.
    wow that's super cool!!

Alright, I'll give the doctor a ring just to hear what he has to say (as I might still have the cyst pressing on my spine), but after that I guess I'm gonna try at least a trial lesson and see how I like it!

thank you all guys, this has been very helpful!

Jade

Archery was the first sport that had a disabled (wheelchair user) on the Olympic team. Not the para team the regular. It was the Swedish women's team if I remember correctly.

oh nice! Yeah I guess if you can use your arms and back muscles, you're as good as an AB.

Ive always loved archery. I have 2 different compounds and a crossbow that I hunt with. The lady in odditys pic is shooting a barnett vortex, very adjustable and affordable bow. Check them out. I have some for sale and some pretty nice sights.