Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I take up archery?

Newbies....

Im guessing you walk? And haven't been to rehab so ill keep this simple

Archery is one of sports Christopher reeve could have taken up as there are bite arrows (t8 doesn't affect your arms so... use them) if you have issues holding a bow there are stands if you have trouble standing use a chair(wheels optional)

Quote Originally Posted by royb View Post
    Ive always loved archery. I have 2 different compounds and a crossbow that I hunt with. The lady in odditys pic is shooting a barnett vortex, very adjustable and affordable bow. Check them out. I have some for sale and some pretty nice sights.
    cool, cool! yeah I'll give them a look and will keep in mind that you sell them

Quote Originally Posted by cyfskid View Post
    Newbies....

Im guessing you walk? And haven't been to rehab so ill keep this simple

Archery is one of sports Christopher reeve could have taken up as there are bite arrows (t8 doesn't affect your arms so... use them) if you have issues holding a bow there are stands if you have trouble standing use a chair(wheels optional)
    hey, yes I walk! basically if you look at me from the outside you won't be able to tell that I have this thing in my spine, only the doctors and I (and my friends/relatives) know what happened to me. my concern was for the muscles that are probably still adjusting after 6 months, and the fact that the stinking cyst in my spine might have re-accumulated, hence I was thinking that a recoil from the bow might damage my spine because of the cyst pressing on it I guess. The last time I saw the doctor, he just said "live normally, just maybe avoid things that are too strenuous or jarring". so, with that vague advice, I was wondering how strenuous or jarring can archery be?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by royb View Post
    Ive always loved archery. I have 2 different compounds and a crossbow that I hunt with. The lady in odditys pic is shooting a barnett vortex, very adjustable and affordable bow. Check them out. I have some for sale and some pretty nice sights.
    Indeed. That Vortex has been used to train each of my boys between the ages of ~11-16. Easy to setup for a little guy and easy to adjust as they grow. It has held up fantastically for such an affordable bow. Only minor modifications, like a peep and D-Loop were needed. Shoots wonderfully.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Listen to your body. I was back lifting weights a little over a month after I was discharged. It was different but you'll be fine.

After reading some of these comments I'm kinda interested now.

Dont ask for permission, only for forgiveness. But doctors advice is always good for mind body and soul. lol.
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

I asked the physiotherapist and she said to wait until my muscles get a bit stronger, also I have a doctor’s appointment on Tuesday, so we’ll have to see what happens then! I really hate this situation man...