Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is a raised roof or lowed floor in full size van absolutely necessary?

My E-150 has the same problem just a little worse. Yours struggles but mine won't even open if parked facing downhill. But then why does it not have the same problem to close the door when parked facing uphill? That tells me it's not the motor but the door itself.

Automotive Innovation is a mobility dealer on here sometimes. He once said he has never seen a door opener on a slider on a full sized van that he was happy with. I once owned a GMC w slider and had same problems as Rusty James. I would have to pre-open door on the flats before parking at a front downward angle, otherwise gears would be grinding and door immobile. If you were fairly strong a non powered sliding door might work well with an under vehicle lift.

I have a 2009 Chevy Express. It is identical to yours and the current model year. I have neither a lowered floor nor a raised roof. Swing out doors - not slider, a Braun lift, and a 6-way power drivers seat. I am 6'2", use a power chair and have to duck only slightly entering. My 2001 Ford E-150 was the same except had a sliding door (never had an issue with it) and my beloved and much missed - now discontinued - Braun Swing-Away lift.

You make it work if you can duck or lean forward a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    My E-150 has the same problem just a little worse. Yours struggles but mine won't even open if parked facing downhill. But then why does it not have the same problem to close the door when parked facing uphill? That tells me it's not the motor but the door itself.
    Probably because before it can open it has to "kick out" in the back, that might be your problem. Might need a good squirt of lube.

My 93 Ford E150 has a Braun opener and I've been helping it along for years now. That's why when I built out my 2010 I left out the door opener. It took a little getting used to but I'm fine withit now.

I have a Ricon Uni-Lite lift. It takes up almost all the door space. There's enough space for me to push the door outward to help it open. But not enough space to move it all the way open manually. You've got me thinking now. It sure would be nice to come up with a way to open the door manually so I wouldn't be dependent on the automatic door opener. The lift seems to work effortlessly. But the door opener strains, which is scary.

I have a Ricon Uni-Lite lift. It takes up almost all the door space. There's enough space for me to push the door outward to help it open. But not enough space to move it all the way open manually. You've got me thinking now. It sure would be nice to come up with a way to open the door manually so I wouldn't be dependent on the automatic door opener. The lift seems to work effortlessly. But the door opener strains, which is scary.
    Can you figure out how to physically disconnect the mechanical part of the automatic of the door opener? In diagnosing my mini the instructions said to do just that and then to compare how it works with the non electric one on the driver's side to see if the fault was the door or the opener.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    I have a 2009 Chevy Express. It is identical to yours and the current model year. I have neither a lowered floor nor a raised roof. Swing out doors - not slider, a Braun lift, and a 6-way power drivers seat. I am 6'2", use a power chair and have to duck only slightly entering. My 2001 Ford E-150 was the same except had a sliding door (never had an issue with it) and my beloved and much missed - now discontinued - Braun Swing-Away lift.

You make it work if you can duck or lean forward a bit.
    You sound encouraging as these vans have changed very little, but they are different. I sat 53 inches high in my chair. We measured 53 inches at the roof edge and 54.5 inches at the center except the dome light is lower. I think I can move the light. I do want to get in the van in my chair before dedicating so much money. I need a loading dock somewhere I can use to roll in it, can't think of one off the top of my head.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Our driveway is on an angle and we used to park our sliding door van there. Never again as it was too difficult to close power door. Got double doors on vans after that.

With the Braun Swing Away it's easy to access the door handle to open shut the door. That's just one of the many great features about this lift.