Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is a raised roof or lowed floor in full size van absolutely necessary?

I drive from my chair with no raised roof but my floor has been lowered by 3" only in the driving position. I duck through the doorway like most everyone else and have enough space between my head and the ceiling to maneuver inside the van. I'm 53.5" seated in my wheelchair, (self measured). Sometimes I need to lean forward to see an overhead traffic light that is obscured by my sun visor when I'm the first in line. A raised roof won't solve that as that's the limit of my windscreen.
    I park in an underground lot. I would never clear the entrance if I drove an ice cream van.

Quote Originally Posted by gps View Post
    I drive from my chair with no raised roof but my floor has been lowered by 3" only in the driving position. I duck through the doorway like most everyone else and have enough space between my head and the ceiling to maneuver inside the van. I'm 53.5" seated in my wheelchair, (self measured). Sometimes I need to lean forward to see an overhead traffic light that is obscured by my sun visor when I'm the first in line. A raised roof won't solve that as that's the limit of my windscreen.
    I park in an underground lot. I would never clear the entrance if I drove an ice cream van.
    This is great and encouraging information, but please tell me what year and brand van you drive so I can compare it with my 2016 Chevrolet Express.
    I almost never drive into a parking garage due to overhead clearances with a full size van.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Rebuilt 1993 Ford E150 Ricon lift, raised roof and 6 way power drivers seat with handcontrols

[QUOTE=gps;1855842... Sometimes I need to lean forward to see an overhead traffic light that is obscured by my sun visor when I'm the first in line....[/QUOTE]

Get one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-91...ty!85224!US!-1
    There is another type being hawked, but it might cause the sun to get in your eyes since it can't be adjusted out of the way. This is the one I am suspicious about: http://www.lightinsight.com/
    Maybe the sunvisor could cover it if needed to block the sun.
    Last edited by nonoise; 05-13-2018 at 02:43 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    Rebuilt 1993 Ford E150 Ricon lift, raised roof and 6 way power drivers seat with handcontrols
    That sounds like what I need.

If you can find an Ford E Series that's been taken care of you won't be sorry as far as reliability and durability. Maintenance and repairs are also reasonable. If you get one with a sliding door you don't necessarily need a power door opener. That's one less device you don't have to worry about. I highly recommend the Ricon power seat base and a Braun Swing Away Lift, if you can find one.

Nonoise:
    Sorry for delay on measurements you requested. May be able to do tomorrow. Our van is 2010 Ford Econoline and I'll have to check which E series. We had all seating removed except for driver and passenger.

Nonoise: was able to get some measurements for you regarding our Ford Econoline E150 van. Top of husband's head (he's 6'2') to floor (in our house) 50" and that is not totally precise but close. My husband does not sit up straight in his wheelchair, so you might sit taller.
    Height from floor of van up to top of double door opening 47" or 48". Unable to be totally accurate there.
    Inside van, height from floor of van to ceiling roughly 51". Note: There is a sub-floor with black thinnish mat over top.
    We have a Ricon trifold power lift, power double door openers, 2 B & D 6 way power seats.
    At one time I had to use a full power wheelchair, so we had a set of tie-downs installed in rear of van where my husband could reach in from back door to attach.
    If you ever need to be a passenger sitting in a power or manual wheelchair, strongly suggest a set of tie downs somewhere in the van where a driver could hook them up.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    If you can find an Ford E Series that's been taken care of you won't be sorry as far as reliability and durability. Maintenance and repairs are also reasonable. If you get one with a sliding door you don't necessarily need a power door opener. That's one less device you don't have to worry about. I highly recommend the Ricon power seat base and a Braun Swing Away Lift, if you can find one.
    Sliding door are better than swing doors? How so? Isn't the lift in the way of reaching the door from inside? Even if you can reach it, it's really hard to push/pull without some leg muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Sliding door are better than swing doors? How so? Isn't the lift in the way of reaching the door from inside? Even if you can reach it, it's really hard to push/pull without some leg muscle.
    I have a 2010 Ford E250 cargo van with a manual sliding door. with the Braun Swing Away lift its easy to reach the latch handle to operate the door. I do have to be mindful when parking because if the vans on a front downward angle it can be a struggle opening the door. I'm a C7 and can manage opening/closing it.