Thread: Question about scolosis, tethering, surgery, stenosis...Nurses?

Question about scolosis, tethering, surgery, stenosis...Nurses?

I am seeking a surgeon or surgical team with experience in the correction of scoliosis, pelvic obliquity in SCI patients as well as address my tethering, severe formainal stenoisis and 40% compression of the thecal sac.*****My curved spine has caused my extremely painful posture and puts me at a high risk of left sided Ischial skin sores from the severe pelvic tilt.** I have excruciating left sided rib and back pain, including shocking, crushing, aching and constant pain.

I have seen two Orthopedics and both have recommended adding hardware to my pelvis.* I had a untethering surgery two years ago, but my cord has retethered.* The surgeon thinks the scoliosis might be causing the tethering and doesn't want to address the tethering again until my scoliosis is stabilized.* The tethering is at the T9 exactly where I have a 40% compression due to a osseous bone pressing on my canal.* * I believe I need a surgical team to address the issues together instead of getting the run around.**

From my MRI and CT mylogram

?******* Tethering at T8-9 (only a small amount of die extended beyond the area during mylogram)

?******* Scoliosis ? C Curve at the L2 and a mild compression fracture as well.**

?******* 40% compression osseous bone deformity bone moderately contouring the left ventral thecal sac

?******* Mild compression of the thecal sac at T12-L1**

?******* Severe Left sided foraminal stenosis at T8-9 and moderate foraminal stenosis at T8-9 and T10-11 as well as other levels.*

Has anyone had bone removed that is pressing on their canals years after their injury?

Also has anyone had their foramen opened up when they have had severe stenosis at the injury level? I nelieve I am feeling the pain from the stenosis?

Has anyone else had to get rods to their pelvis?

Do you know of any surgeons or teams that would be good to send my information to?**

Thank you for any info!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by batgirl View Post
    I am seeking a surgeon or surgical team with experience in the correction of scoliosis, pelvic obliquity in SCI patients as well as address my tethering, severe formainal stenoisis and 40% compression of the thecal sac.*****My curved spine has caused my extremely painful posture and puts me at a high risk of left sided Ischial skin sores from the severe pelvic tilt.** I have excruciating left sided rib and back pain, including shocking, crushing, aching and constant pain.

I have seen two Orthopedics and both have recommended adding hardware to my pelvis.* I had a untethering surgery two years ago, but my cord has retethered.* The surgeon thinks the scoliosis might be causing the tethering and doesn't want to address the tethering again until my scoliosis is stabilized.* The tethering is at the T9 exactly where I have a 40% compression due to a osseous bone pressing on my canal.* * I believe I need a surgical team to address the issues together instead of getting the run around.**

From my MRI and CT mylogram

?******* Tethering at T8-9 (only a small amount of die extended beyond the area during mylogram)

?******* Scoliosis ? C Curve at the L2 and a mild compression fracture as well.**

?******* 40% compression osseous bone deformity bone moderately contouring the left ventral thecal sac

?******* Mild compression of the thecal sac at T12-L1**

?******* Severe Left sided foraminal stenosis at T8-9 and moderate foraminal stenosis at T8-9 and T10-11 as well as other levels.*

Has anyone had bone removed that is pressing on their canals years after their injury?

Also has anyone had their foramen opened up when they have had severe stenosis at the injury level? I nelieve I am feeling the pain from the stenosis?

Has anyone else had to get rods to their pelvis?

Do you know of any surgeons or teams that would be good to send my information to?**

Thank you for any info!!!
    Dr. Scott Falci - Craig Hospital, Englewood, Co. - Deals with scoliosis in sci patients every day. Good luck

I may be misunderstanding the situation, but wondering if you have had a consultation with an orthotist to see if a TLSO (Thoracis Lumbar Sacral Orthosis) would help you. I've had to wear one to stabilize scoliosis due to Polio. You can Google to see what they look like. Mine is plastic, secured in front with velcro straps. They are made by casting the person and making a mold, then fabricating the TLSO from the mold, getting an exact replica of one's body. In my case it's not to "correct" the scoliosis, but stabilize so that the body is supported. It is my understanding that if a teenager begins to develop scoliosis it can be corrected by surgery or bracing. In my case it was not feasible when I was young, thus I'v always worn a brace.

Thank you for responding. I asked two different orthopedic surgeons about bracing and they both said there no bracing! They both only suggested rods to my pelvis. I just wonder if I need to have the bone that compressing my cord removed and the foramen opened up to reduce pressure on my nerves. If I walked into a surgeon with my CT mylogram they would want to remove the bone, but since I roll they assume nothing under my injury is a problem.

It’s worth reaching out to Dr Falci and his team. He’s a neurosurgeon, does a lot of work with SCI folks, collaborates with orthopedic surgeons as necessary.

Thank you. I will do that.