Thread: Tilite Flip Up Foot Rest Usefulness?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tilite Flip Up Foot Rest Usefulness?

Hello All,
    Edit: I just saw that I have the adjustable angle footrest and not the flip up version. I am still not a fan of drilling into the tubing.

So I just found out that when using the flip up footrest on a ZRA and a Freewheel Attachment that you need to pin the footrest in a fixed position. Reading the instructions for the Freewheel it shows that you use two #8 fasteners to secure the footrest and that raises the red flag because I question the chance of shearing this fasteners off over time. I will be spending a lot of time in this chair outside off the beaten path so I am thinking that the Freewheel will be a very useful item. I am a total newbie so I do not have any experience in what the flip up foot rest gets you but I can see that it might be helpful but not really sure. I am wondering if I should change my order to get one of the fixed foot rests or maybe get both a flip up and fixed depending on cost and how easy they are to switch out.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
    Jim
    Last edited by LJH; 05-09-2018 at 04:49 PM.

I have the flip-up footrest. When I tried the Freewheel several years ago, I got a fixed footrest to use with it. The Freewheel did not work for me; I ended up with a hand-cycle attachment instead, and put the flip-up back on.

I flip the footrest frequently because I can stand. When grocery shopping, the footrest gets quite a workout.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    I have the flip-up footrest. When I tried the Freewheel several years ago, I got a fixed footrest to use with it. The Freewheel did not work for me; I ended up with a hand-cycle attachment instead, and put the flip-up back on.

I flip the footrest frequently because I can stand. When grocery shopping, the footrest gets quite a workout.
    Thanks for the info. I am afraid I will not be standing anytime soon. I did some more looking around and it seems with the adjustable angle footrest, which I am actually spec'ed out for, does not utilize a continuous tube from one side to the other. I found one report of someone breaking the adjustable angle footrest off using the Freewheel. With that said I have asked to change my build to a different footrest which I believe will be more robust.

Cheers,
    Jim

OK, to get to the bottom of this I called Tilite directly. They were super nice as we were willing to discuss the differences. The woman I talked to said the ZFTR1 footrest was substantially stronger then the adjustable angle footrest and she recommended going with it. I have conformation that the build spec was changed.

Cheers,
    Jim

I had a flip up footrest on my last chair. The thought of why it would be nice was that I could flip up the rest and put my feet on the ground at a restaurant where I might have issues getting under a table. I am a T10 para (complete), which means I make a lot of transfers to/from the chair. I ended up hating the footrest because I was constantly fighting to get it down after my heel catches on it trying to get my feet back on the plate. The amount of time I was irritated by the footplate GREATLY outnumbered the situations where it was a benefit. Over to you on whether or not you think it is a good idea, but I hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by ToastGuard View Post
    I had a flip up footrest on my last chair. The thought of why it would be nice was that I could flip up the rest and put my feet on the ground at a restaurant where I might have issues getting under a table. I am a T10 para (complete), which means I make a lot of transfers to/from the chair. I ended up hating the footrest because I was constantly fighting to get it down after my heel catches on it trying to get my feet back on the plate. The amount of time I was irritated by the footplate GREATLY outnumbered the situations where it was a benefit. Over to you on whether or not you think it is a good idea, but I hated it.
    TG, we have the same injury. I talked to a local guys I have gotten friendly with (Also a T10C) and he said the same thing about the plate. That combined with it not being as strong made me change my order......But now they are saying they need a new Rx. and Authorization. This stuff is driving me absolutely crazy. I mean it is a freaking foot rest which I am willing to pay for out of my own pocket. These people seem to go out of their way to make this so much more complicated then it needs to be. AAARRHHGG....so mad right now that this simple change is going to delay my chair at least another week because the vendor if so slow in getting anything done, they will not even let me know what they need so I an get it done....SO FRUSTRATING.....

Vent mode off.

Cheers,
    Jim

Sorry you are dealing with that. I have bought three chairs so far, from three different vendors, and every time has gotten worse. I am amazed at how bad these people are at their jobs. This last time they screwed up so bad I made them start completely over after they had already delivered something. I told them after that to just deliver me the parts and I'll put it together myself because they screwed up literally every part on the chair. It is infuriating.

My wife is a T9 incomplete. When we were still in hospital, she saw a freewheel and wanted one. However we learned that it would cost the ability to have a flip up footrest. We do a lot of standing pivots and I believed the flip up was important. We almost ordered both styles of footrest when they finally ordered her chair (not too difficult to swap), but decided to go with a Firefly for starters (which can go with either style footrest).

I work at a welding shop and while I have not drawn anything up, I am certain that a fairly simple clamp could be fabricated to allow the freewheel, which she's starting to want.

For clarity, the Firefly is great on flat ground, but because your weight is on back wheels, it does not go uphill very well. One of it's other downsides is that you steer with its front wheel - meaning that if, for any reason you need to push, you can't also be steering. One of the benefits of a freewheel is that you still steer with the back wheels. When I get to it, I am planning to create a balanced bungie system to make the Firefly default to forward orientation.

I hope this both makes sense and plants useful knowledge..