Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Portland Oregon - for non Oregonians . in wheelchairs

  1. #1
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,655

    Portland Oregon - for non Oregonians . in wheelchairs

    If you ever intend to drive and park and roll in Portland Oregon, but only possess a non-Oregonian ADA placard you will require one of these to park in the City designated wheelchair spots and to park at parking meters(of longer than 15 minutes), if you wish to have unlimited length parking and free parking. You can also park in residential parking zones. You have to display both placards.

    To get the placard you have to fill out this application... .yes another application.
    I'm posting the application here as the City of Portland in their wisdom don't think that folks in wheelchair have it hard enough and so haven't posted it anywhere.

    So next time you go to the doctors PLEASE get if filled in and mail it to the city of Portland.. who knows one day, you may possibly want to park in Portland may as well be prepared, also makes a nice decoration to add to your collection of rear view mirror ornaments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Cool. What are your top 5 things to do for a day starting from Union Station in a power chair? Tips on riding MAX...disabled discounts etc.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

  3. #3
    It seems like the additional placard would violate ADA. I mean how are we supposed to know in advance which cities in the US have these additional requirements? Suppose we assume we just pay all meters, and hang our placard when out of state anyway. It won't help, because they would still get us when we run overtime. Overtime is one of the reasons we get free parking. It takes a lifetime to get into and out of our rigs. ABs can just pop into and out of theirs, but not me. I don't know if I want to bother with filling out the form or simply crossing Portland off my list. But I think the ordinance should be thrown out.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Saint Petersburg , Florida
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    It seems like the additional placard would violate ADA. I mean how are we supposed to know in advance which cities in the US have these additional requirements? Suppose we assume we just pay all meters, and hang our placard when out of state anyway. It won't help, because they would still get us when we run overtime. Overtime is one of the reasons we get free parking. It takes a lifetime to get into and out of our rigs. ABs can just pop into and out of theirs, but not me. I don't know if I want to bother with filling out the form or simply crossing Portland off my list. But I think the ordinance should be thrown out.
    I agree 100%! This is ridiculous!

  5. #5
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,655
    Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    I agree 100%! This is ridiculous!
    I agree 100%

    If anything.. if you have out of state license plates on the car and a regular blue ADA placard you should be fine...
    If you're Oregonian then yeah you can play by your states silly rules.
    Would make for an interesting case to fight.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    I agree 100%

    If anything.. if you have out of state license plates on the car and a regular blue ADA placard you should be fine...
    If you're Oregonian then yeah you can play by your states silly rules.
    Would make for an interesting case to fight.
    No, this ruling is for people from outside of Oregon. The application reads as:

    Non-Oregon Resident
    Wheelchair User Disabled Person
    Parking Permit Application
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  7. #7
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,655
    In Oregon if you get an ADA placard and you're in a wheelchair
    you get a different color placard. medium blue instead of dark blue.

    So oregon wheelchair users are differentiated.. and there are wheelchair only spots.
    So to overcome the fact that ADA wheelchair folks from other states are indistinguishable, the city of Portland has come up with this extra placard for out of state folks.



    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    No, this ruling is for people from outside of Oregon. The application reads as:

    Non-Oregon Resident
    Wheelchair User Disabled Person
    Parking Permit Application

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    In Oregon if you get an ADA placard and you're in a wheelchair
    you get a different color placard. medium blue instead of dark blue.

    So oregon wheelchair users are differentiated.. and there are wheelchair only spots.
    So to overcome the fact that ADA wheelchair folks from other states are indistinguishable, the city of Portland has come up with this extra placard for out of state folks.
    Which means if you are in Portland and from out of state and use a wheelchair, you can't use these HC spots without the special Portland only placard. The problem is those are the *only* spots we can use, so I still claim it is against the ADA.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  9. #9
    Actually, the ADA does not require that state's honor each other's handicapped parking placards or plates, although most do. The ADA regulations do require that the state set criteria according to the ADA, and issue plates/placards to their residents.

    Most likely this law in Portland is legal as long as endorsed by the state of Oregon, and will need to be tested in the courts by someone who is ticketed for parking in one of these spaces with an out-of-state placard or plate.

    Here is a site where you can look up each state's requirements, although it may not be completely up-to-date:

    http://www.disabledmotorists.eu/en/w...of_america.htm

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  10. #10
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,655
    interesting.
    I'd love to test this in the courts.

    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Actually, the ADA does not require that state's honor each other's handicapped parking placards or plates, although most do. The ADA regulations do require that the state set criteria according to the ADA, and issue plates/placards to their residents.

    Most likely this law in Portland is legal as long as endorsed by the state of Oregon, and will need to be tested in the courts by someone who is ticketed for parking in one of these spaces with an out-of-state placard or plate.

    Here is a site where you can look up each state's requirements, although it may not be completely up-to-date:

    http://www.disabledmotorists.eu/en/w...of_america.htm

    (KLD)

Similar Threads

  1. Handcycle Stolen In Portland Oregon U.s.a.
    By mgwmgw in forum Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2016, 07:13 PM
  2. Free Wheel Portland Oregon $350
    By T-tension in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-18-2015, 01:42 PM
  3. Motorized Exercycle (Theracycle) - Portland, Oregon
    By Gayle in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 09:08 PM
  4. Project Walk Portland, Oregon
    By Snowman in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-16-2005, 03:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •