Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adaptive Home Bathroom?

Adaptive Home Bathroom?

Hello All,
    Recently SCI here at a T10 level. We have started talking to an Architect about designing a fully adapted bathroom for me, he is a great guy and has some experience with this but as I am finding there is nothing better then talking to people who have BTDT. I would love for our bathroom to look as little like an adaptive bathroom as possible while still being efficient and safe. We are aware of the costs and all but willing to throw money at things that just work and look good. I am thinking the biggest thing will be the shower, we are planning to have a decently large roll in shower where I can then transfer. I would love to have a built in bench but then I wonder how I am going to lean my dirty bits because there is no way to get to them. I hate the idea of a cheesy shower/commode chair but that may be what it is.

Any thought, pictures, ideas would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
    Jim

RAZ shower/commode chair with optional pressure-relief seat. Built like a tank.
    No clue how to wash your caboose on a bench seat.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Still thinking about this... some of the best ideas I've seen or to start from or use as a base are some of the hotel accessible bathrooms.
    You get to try them out and then think of the things you would change... improve for your
    Some of the Marriott hotels I've stayed in have had some pretty sweet height adjustable padded shower benches.
    When I'm on a bench I just lean to one side, do some cleaning, then lean the other way and do some cleaning.. the longer the shower bench the easier this is in my opinion. When they are really short I end up using my chair to lean into, just to make it easy to balance etc.

Promise to post pictures when you're done, would love to steal some of your ideas

Why transfer in the shower? That leaves your wheelchair in there with you. Even if you don't use a shower/commode chair as a commode (I do) it sure makes cleaning up easy. The downside, which might be a big one in small bathrooms, is the shower chair takes up space when not in use. We made our shower large enough that it is not an issue.

One probably obvious upgrade to not omit is a combination fixed showerhead and hand shower, with controls within seated reach. I've been in two hotels where the diverter valve was up at the fixed showerhead in their "ADA" room. Duh?
    Last edited by endo_aftermath; 05-08-2018 at 09:55 PM.

I would also recommend using a good quality shower/commode chair instead of transferring to a bench. As above, if you are alone, you have to leave your wheelchair in the shower while bathing, and the transfer can be much more difficult with a higher risk of a fall in a wet/damp environment at the end of your shower too. In the long run, your shoulders will thank you as well!

Along these lines, if you use a shower/commode chair, don't put in an "ADA height" toilet, as this means you have to have a much taller shower/commode chair to fit over it, and it makes it more difficult to do your bowel care and maintain your balance with a transfer.

If cost is no object, consider a ceiling track lift that goes from your bedroom into your bathroom.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Here's one for start.

Here's a picture from the ADAAG guide.

Pictures from my old roll in shower, 1988, to shower room, 2007. I'll post complete finish of shower room.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

On a recent trip to Costa Rica I was given an accessible room at a nice resort hotel near the Arenal volcano. I loved the bathroom as it didn't look like a hospital room shower. The only down side was the poorly designed vanity/sink (which you can't see in this photo):

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I also recommend the Raz shower/commode chair. I do transfer from manual to Raz commode in shower then on shower only days spin the manual facing the other way. On bowel days spin manual same way and by pass it in Raz do bp then come back to shower. Much better system then when i transferred to a fixed or portable bench. Shower has to be a little on the large size but not really that big. I will try to post some pics at some point. Shower floor should be roughed in at 1 " below floor for best results. I only have 1/2" slope no problems and no lip . Some contractors / architects will push about a 3' slope makes transfers awkward. My 2 cents unless architect is working for free you are probably wasting money as they tend to over engineer. Best to do your own research. In my bathroom only thing that tips it is accessible is clearance under sink as i have no use for grab bars etc. I have sold 2 homes and able bodied buyers never mentioned and the most they would have had to change is put cabinet doors back on vanity.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    just noting.. when I transfer to my bench in the shower I pull the curtain between me and my chair, so my chair never gets wet. At this point I can't see myself using the rolling commode... but hey maybe that's my future
    And yeah those super high toilets in ADA hotel bathrooms really suck when you don't sit on the toilet

Here are some pics of mine. No transfer, I just roll from the toilet to the shower.