Thread: Can you work and still keep health coverage?

Can you work and still keep health coverage?

Hello,
    I'm thinking about starting a business. I'm wondering if I do well with the business will I lose the health coverage? (The definition of do well varies person to person) I'm not concerned about the Social Security check. More the healthcare coverage.. For all things health-related. Medications, doctor visits etc.
    I'm in the state of Minnesota..

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    Brian
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

Are you referring to Medicaid? Medicare?

Eligibility for Medicaid is dependent upon income and assets being below a certain level.

If you are on Medicare because you are also on SSDI or SSI, and you return to work, you do risk loosing both your SSDI/SSI and your Medicare unless you initially do Ticket to Work or some similar program, which can last up to 24 months (as I remember) during which your SSDI/SSI and Medicare are protected.

If you are working for yourself, and thus do not have a company-provided health insurance plan, you can then purchase ACA (Obamacare) insurance.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Are you referring to Medicaid? Medicare?

Eligibility for Medicaid is dependent upon income and assets being below a certain level.

If you are on Medicare because you are also on SSDI or SSI, and you return to work, you do risk loosing both your SSDI/SSI and your Medicare unless you initially do Ticket to Work or some similar program, which can last up to 24 months (as I remember) during which your SSDI/SSI and Medicare are protected.

If you are working for yourself, and thus do not have a company-provided health insurance plan, you can then purchase ACA (Obamacare) insurance.

(KLD)
    okay I'll have to have a family member stand-in for me. Otherwise too expensive.. Thank you for the reply
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"