Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceiling Track/Lift Safety Measure

Ceiling Track/Lift Safety Measure

Coming from experience as I just had a section of track come loose and break free from it's bracket. Make sure the bolts that hold the track tight in the bracket remain fully bolted in. I just had one back out and with only two brackets in the one short section of track, I dropped down and was luckily caught by the remaining tight bracket. The loosening was over the course of around three years. After having this happen, I had a third bracket installed as to not depend on only the two in that section and tightened up any other loosened bolts in all other sections.

It was a close call. No injuries. Needed the fire department to come lift me out of the shower. I should've known better to check them but failed to do so. Lesson learned.

If you use a ceiling track. Make sure it's installed with integrity and have someone from time to time make sure the bolts/screws are snug.

I get annual service/inspection on my system. They tighten the bolts as part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    I get annual service/inspection on my system. They tighten the bolts as part of that.
    That'll definitely be a thing for me now.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    Coming from experience as I just had a section of track come loose and break free from it's bracket. Make sure the bolts that hold the track tight in the bracket remain fully bolted in. I just had one back out and with only two brackets in the one short section of track, I dropped down and was luckily caught by the remaining tight bracket. The loosening was over the course of around three years. After having this happen, I had a third bracket installed as to not depend on only the two in that section and tightened up any other loosened bolts in all other sections.

It was a close call. No injuries. Needed the fire department to come lift me out of the shower. I should've known better to check them but failed to do so. Lesson learned.

If you use a ceiling track. Make sure it's installed with integrity and have someone from time to time make sure the bolts/screws are snug.
    Who installed your ceiling track? I've been using Surehands for over 20 years and I have never had a bolt come loose.

Some ceiling track lift companies have their own installation crews, while others contract it out to local contractors. In my experience, you will get better quality installation if it is done by the company themselves. This is one of the critieria I recommend you use in selecting which company you are selecting for your CTL needs.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Who installed your ceiling track? I've been using Surehands for over 20 years and I have never had a bolt come loose.
    A carpenter. But I oversaw the install. I've had ceiling tracks installed in four previous homes to this house. No bolt had ever backed out and is probably why I took it for granted and failed to ensure they remained properly tightened over time and use.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Some ceiling track lift companies have their own installation crews, while others contract it out to local contractors. In my experience, you will get better quality installation if it is done by the company themselves. This is one of the critieria I recommend you use in selecting which company you are selecting for your CTL needs.

(KLD)
    I would assume. On ceiling track installs I've always had issues with the medical retail stores as only those from main large cities really knew/know how to properly install them and the price and wait times to install the tracks were beyond reasonable. So I always have local home builders install them for me. I can always feel secure that the added strength I have them put in the roof trusses are reliable because they understand what is and isn't structurally sound. This wasn't an install failure, this was a maintenance failure on my part.

My Surehands was installed by their installer. He really knew what he was doing. He stopped by an checked mine out once - for free. He was in the area and remembered me. However, I have my brother check mine out at least once a year. Nothing has come loose in the 6 years or so that I have had the list. I shudder when just thinking about crashing to my shower floor. It would surely be a Humpty Dumpty fate.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55+yrs. View Post
    My Surehands was installed by their installer. He really knew what he was doing. He stopped by an checked mine out once - for free. He was in the area and remembered me. However, I have my brother check mine out at least once a year. Nothing has come loose in the 6 years or so that I have had the list. I shudder when just thinking about crashing to my shower floor. It would surely be a Humpty Dumpty fate.
    Oh yeah, I've always imagined hitting the floor and snapping a few twigs for sure. I got lucky here.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55+yrs. View Post
    That is one good thing about Surehands, they do the installs themselves. My last one was installed in an apartment. He couldn't bolt it to the ceiling so he bolted it to the walls.