View Poll Results: Post flap surgery,are you still doing regular pressure reliefs and checking your skin

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do regular pressure reliefs

1 20.00%
  • No, I do not do regular pressure reliefs

1 20.00%
  • Yes, I check my skin at least once daily

2 40.00%
  • No, I do not check my skin every day

1 20.00%

Thread: Post Flap Surgery Are You Still Doing Skin Checks & Pressure Reliefs?

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County

Post Post Flap Surgery Are You Still Doing Skin Checks & Pressure Reliefs?

I just realized that it was 2 years and 2 weeks ago that I had flap surgery on a stage IV ischial wound. Luckily there was no bone infection, though at one time it had been infected with MRSA, but that was cleared up about a year before the surgery. My doctor had tried to close it with a wound vac first. It had nearly closed, but it stopped closing after it reached a certain point and wouldn't close any further.

I am prone to acne on my butt and around the area of the flap surgery (good lord I am 55! When are the zits on my face and butt going to go away like my mom said they would?!), and get a pimple there about every couple of months. And it took me nearly a year to figure out which kind of underwear would work best for me (womens boy shorts in a soft "no seam" kind of close fitting stretchy material I found on HSN by designer Rhonda Shear have been amazing. I ordered 3 dozen pairs! And wearing denim instead of sweats and/or only underwear kept me from getting little cuts.

If I do get a pimple or a cut near an area that could get contaminated with feces, I cover it with an extra thin duoderm dressing, and then increase my pressure reliefs from every hour to every 30 minutes for around 3 days, and then check the area again. If it's closed I don't replace the dressing. If it still hasn't close I re-dress it and proceed with the 30 minute pressure reliefs.

I also had to make big changes in my daily life. I had to cut out all "naked" transfers, which meant I no longer use the toilet and no longer use my shower and transfer bench. This means I do my BP in bed (I've got it down to 30 minutes and surprised that I rarely make a mess on my bed sheets), and all my bathing is done with baby wipes in bed for my "lowers" and the bathroom sink for my hair and upper body. It hasn't been easy, that's for sure. And the BP in bed has kept me from seeking any kind of love life, but I digress.

The end of June this year I was released from rehab "sit therapy" 2 years ago. I am still doing pressure reliefs on both sides for between 1.5 and 2 minutes, and I check my skin every evening, and sometimes if I see a red mark at night I will check my skin the following morning.

I am also 21 and a half years post injury (T2). Prior to the pressure sore I never did pressure reliefs and never checked my skin. I took it all for granted and it literally bit me in the ass.

So, for those of you who have had flap surgery, or were lucky enough to have your sores close up naturally, are you still doing regular pressure reliefs and checking your skin every day, at least once a day? What's your story?

I wanted to click on two choices!
    I don't consciously do pressure reliefs but am pretty active and mindful (if I sit in front of the computer an hour, I'll be shifting my butt around)
    I don't check my skin daily; I have my wife take a look every week or more at bedtime.
    I had a stage 4 ischial ulcer spring of 2012.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I also wanted to click 2 choice. I don't pressure relieve because I move around a lot anyway (but currently need a better cushion).

As I've gotten older and my butt skin is like 5 layers of tissue paper, I check my skin daily at night to see the damage.

Glad you got out of that mess! I remember the hell it was for you!

Flap surgery 1988. Surgical area has started to break down within the last five years - but nothing serious yet.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Everyone with a SCI/D (not just those post-flap) who has sensory loss should check their skin at least daily (ideally twice daily) and do regular weight shifts. The poll above is not designed to get the information you desire as the responses are very limited.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I also had to make big changes in my daily life. I had to cut out all "naked" transfers, which meant I no longer use the toilet and no longer use my shower and transfer bench. This means I do my BP in bed (I've got it down to 30 minutes and surprised that I rarely make a mess on my bed sheets), and all my bathing is done with baby wipes in bed for my "lowers" and the bathroom sink for my hair and upper body. It hasn't been easy, that's for sure. And the BP in bed has kept me from seeking any kind of love life, but I digress.
    Don't mean to get off topic but what do you use to have a 30 minute BP?
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 05-07-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Im sorry! I have never done a poll before and it never crossed my mind that only one could be selected. Duh!

I use digital stimulation and removal. I take a lot of fiber, 4 metamucil caps in the am and 4 in the pm. Maybe im just lucky, but its never taken me very long. Most of that 30 minutes is the set up and clean up, so the actual BP may be as short as 10 or 15 minutes.

I know this. Im asking to see how many people have stuck to the routine. For me it isnt easy to do the pressure reliefs every hour. Ive burned a lot of food on the stove because i had to take 3-4 minutes in the middle of cooking dinner, and its embarassing to explain why im leaning over in the middle of a business meeting or in a parking lot after shopping or running an errand. So many people think im falling out of my wheelchair!