Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front caster selection

Front caster selection

I've always gone with the 4" x 0.75" all plastic caster for lighter weight and lesser resistance. The draw back is that they tend to lock up on items as small as a pebble and they tend to pick up and twist fabric in between the hub and fork. I am thinking of changing to the 4" x 1.4" aluminum rim and plastic tire caster. The Aluminum is more durable and looks better. The wider tire should roll over stuff that the narrower tires lock up or pick up. Any experience with these? I don't want the extra weight if it doesn't buy me anything more than bling.

I guess I should just try them on. I suppose they'd be a little more turning resistance. But probably worth not having the aggravation of them locking up.

I've used both and I like the wider ones better, though I really don't think it's a huge difference. The 4" tire can get wedged on something either way, but maybe the wider one is less. Maybe.
    Give it a shot!
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Sounds about right. At least the aluminum hub will hold up better. The plastic ones get brittle and crack.

My last two chairs have had 5" casters and I won't go back to anything smaller. My first chair had 4". The second chair had the thin 5" TiLite softrolls and they are great indoors and it is now my garage chair. Turns much better but going out in the back yard the thickness helps, but indoors they're a little more clunky. Either size, always aluminum hubs.

My last 2 chairs from TiLite have had the 5" x 1.5" Aluminum wheels w/soft roll tire.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Sounds about right. At least the aluminum hub will hold up better. The plastic ones get brittle and crack.
    Really? I've never had a caster last long enough to get brittle and crack. The rubber always gets worn out first, but I run 3" or 80mm rollerblade type casters. I figure they wear out in a year at most, often less.

I can't run a caster bigger than 3" because the 3" ones already hit my feet sometimes when I turn. I guess my chair is just too narrow.

Frog Legs 5x1.4 EPIC Aluminum Hub Wide Softroll Casters are my choice as a perfect compromise for both indoor and outdoor everyday use. They use ubiquitous 608 bearings.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    My last two chairs have had 5" casters and I won't go back to anything smaller. My first chair had 4". The second chair had the thin 5" TiLite softrolls and they are great indoors and it is now my garage chair. Turns much better but going out in the back yard the thickness helps, but indoors they're a little more clunky. Either size, always aluminum hubs.
    5" sounds good. But the foot plate would have to be extra wide in order for them not to hit my shoes while turning.

When you say they are clunky, you probably mean they reduce your clearance by 1/2". That's a good reason for smaller casters. But 3" casters get stuck in sidewalk cracks too easily. I think 4" is the sweet spot.