Thread: Verdict on Manual Invacare chairs : Invacare aluminum Top End Terminator ?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

Verdict on Manual Invacare chairs : Invacare aluminum Top End Terminator ?

Hi,

Never used a Manual Invacare chair.
    What is the community verdict on Invacare.. as compared to quickie and Tilite, my only points of reference so far.
    How do the components compare etc. ?

And anyone have experience specifically with the Invacare aluminum Top End Terminator.

Thank you.

I recently received a new Top End Terminator (Dec). I went through the hoops to get this with Medicare. I filled out all the order forms for the chair and accessories before I went to the wheelchair clinic to see PT, Doctor and DME. The chair has a k0005 code and was approved. Titanium as you know is not approved. Top End is a small manufacturer in Florida and has great customer service. I had a Cad drawing drawn and after I approved it I received the chair three weeks later. Only problem was the engineer that built the chair used the wrong option tire that I requested which in turn changed the desired dump. After calling Top End and discussing the problem they said they would build a new frame, which they did. This chair is replacing my 10 yr old Titanium Top End Terminator which has held up pretty good over the years (they only make the aluminum chair now). I can’t compare it to Tilite because I have never used one.

Hi, Thanks so much for taking the time to share your opinion, much appreciated.

Good to hear they treated you so well, even though the 'cock up' was theirs.
    Good to hear you went back to them after 10 years, their chair must have treated you well enough to go back to them.

Interesting experiment, do you notice much difference between the Titanium and the Aluminum version?

Have they upgraded the components at all have you noticed? since 10 years ago.

Curious which DME do you use?

My DME's opinion -- "Not impressed by the ancillary parts, i.e. forks, back lock system, back frame, wheel locks, footrest attachment, upholstery, etc. "
    but they are rather Tilite biased in my opinion.

Again thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyarddog View Post
    I recently received a new Top End Terminator (Dec). I went through the hoops to get this with Medicare. I filled out all the order forms for the chair and accessories before I went to the wheelchair clinic to see PT, Doctor and DME. The chair has a k0005 code and was approved. Titanium as you know is not approved. Top End is a small manufacturer in Florida and has great customer service. I had a Cad drawing drawn and after I approved it I received the chair three weeks later. Only problem was the engineer that built the chair used the wrong option tire that I requested which in turn changed the desired dump. After calling Top End and discussing the problem they said they would build a new frame, which they did. This chair is replacing my 10 yr old Titanium Top End Terminator which has held up pretty good over the years (they only make the aluminum chair now). I can’t compare it to Tilite because I have never used one.

I really don?t notice much weight difference because I eliminated the Frog Legs rear suspension and adjustable camber tube for a single camber tube. I have different wheels/tires which are lighter. Also I drive from my chair with a custom bracket so I don?t have to break it down and load it into a car. I have also gone with an ergo seat to help me from sliding forward. Top End builds the ergo seat with four welded braces across the frame seat and an aluminum seat pan.
    The chair is basically the same except for the new bullet style caster fork mount which requires the bearings in the forks. The footrest attachment is not the best design but it works. Any stock wheel locks are really not very well designed. This chair I am installing d?s locks.
    I?ll attach some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

A buddy of mine has one. Its got to be 30+ years old and its chrome moly. Its lighter than a comparable chair in aluminum. He won't give it up. Nothing has failed on it. I tried to give him a ti quickie I had. He used it a couple days and said no thanks. Same thing with with an Aero X a couple years ago. He's modernized his chair with new wheels, caster wheels and brakes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    A buddy of mine has one. Its got to be 30+ years old and its chrome moly. Its lighter than a comparable chair in aluminum. He won't give it up. Nothing has failed on it. I tried to give him a ti quickie I had. He used it a couple days and said no thanks. Same thing with with an Aero X a couple years ago. He's modernized his chair with new wheels, caster wheels and brakes.
    Yep! Chromolybendum is a fantastic material for wheelchairs!! Wish more were available. Maybe even the best IMHO. They'd probably last too long though. Gotta sell new ones!!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Yep! Chromolybendum is a fantastic material for wheelchairs!! Wish more were available. Maybe even the best IMHO. They'd probably last too long though. Gotta sell new ones!!
    You are a wealth of information. This is news to me. I was thinking aluminum magnesium was the best.

Great response.. thank you. looks a super nice chair

can't go with the fixed back.. need to be able to fold to get into the car etc.

Really interesting to know about the extra Ergo seat features as that is what I am after.
    Curious which cushion to you use. Non of my PT's have ever fitted for an Ergo chair and they are all paranoid about which Cushion I am going to use because of the fold!
    Currently on a roho hybrid elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyarddog View Post
    I really don?t notice much weight difference because I eliminated the Frog Legs rear suspension and adjustable camber tube for a single camber tube. I have different wheels/tires which are lighter. Also I drive from my chair with a custom bracket so I don?t have to break it down and load it into a car. I have also gone with an ergo seat to help me from sliding forward. Top End builds the ergo seat with four welded braces across the frame seat and an aluminum seat pan.
    The chair is basically the same except for the new bullet style caster fork mount which requires the bearings in the forks. The footrest attachment is not the best design but it works. Any stock wheel locks are really not very well designed. This chair I am installing d?s locks.
    I?ll attach some pictures.

Dealer just came around to show me an Invacare chair.. I couldn't try the demo!!! took it away with him.. so strange.
    He couldn't say anything nice about the chair... was so Pro Tilite.... they must get a much better commission on Tilite chairs.
    Chair looked just as robust as a Tilite to me... I've broken Caster bolts and axles on this Tilite I am in so can't imagine it would be much worse!