Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rio Dragonfly vs a handcycle such as Top End Excelerator

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    In your experience (obviously it varies depending on chair set up) how stable is it when cornering?
    My chair is 13" wide with only 2 degrees of camber and a relatively high center of gravity (seat pan is relatively high), the width at my tires is something less than 20 inches. I'm worried even a mild turn might tip me over.
    Whilst my son doesn’t have a Stricker (I don’t believe that they will connect to an Icon Fuente!), he is used to going at speed, with both his old Firefly and, more recently, “The Beast” (more on that in a second). I think he only tipped the Firefly a couple of times accidentally, both at very low speeds. One was actually inside a classroom, where he decided that tight circles as fast as he could would be a good idea for some reason....

The greatest instability seems to be when one chair wheel hits a large bump, but the other doesn’t. Mostly off-road.

Perhaps my son went through a learning curve with turning. He certainly doesn’t try to do tight turns if he’s going fast.

Anyway, here’s a little video that might help you out regarding stability (and includes “The Beast”). Yes, it’s pretty much an Icon advert, but that was deliberate as the Icon guys have gone out of their way to help us out a couple of times, including a few weeks ago when we were on holiday in Scotland and I noticed a crack in the front wing assembly (after almost 6 years of abuse)...the international Icon distributor (who is based in Denmark) got the part to us within 3 days of me getting in touch with him. Can’t get much better service than that!

https://youtu.be/t8JKgtao57I
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

i keep 1para and 1 quad version as floor demo's at the shop. i keep several of the para and quad hybrids and para sports in stock. always extra batteries as well.

i currently have a para hybrid new showroom unit discounted. https://bike-on.com/clearance/stricker-para-smart

lots of stricker vids here https://www.youtube.com/user/fuentej..._as=subscriber
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    Yep been riding the roads since 1993 When I was training for World Ride 95 I went down the shoulder of I-85 for a few miles before the State patrol kicked me off. I had seen people walking down the shoulder before so I thought if they can do that I can cycle down the shoulder but the State Patrol schooled me that it was also illegal to walk down the shoulder as well. He said the call center lit up with calls about a guy in a wheelchair going down 85 I know I might be crazy....
    Lol, alright, at least now I know where you're coming from. I thought I was a risk taker...

BTW when I was riding my motorcycle through Mexico in my former life, the interstate like highways with two or three lanes either direction and a paved shoulder/breakdown lane just outside Mexico City routinely had very serious looking cyclists on it. Traffic was more akin to 85 South when you get out into SC and it's just two lanes, but the crazy thing was cars would routinely pull into what I would consider the shoulder to allow cars in the right lane to pass them. The cyclists seemed rather crazy to me at the time, and I was an idiot 23 year old riding a motorcycle through a foreign country where I didn't speak the language with no particular plan for where I was gonna lay my head each night. But all that to say you're probably in good company. Shame they chased you off the highway.

Of people who own the Strickers, I've got a couple questions. You guys almost have me convinced (although I need to come up with $6,000 first).

Once it's set up, how quick is it to put in on/off the chair?
    I'm trying to see if it's feasible to ride it to a destination and stop off for just a cup of coffee or something or should I plan on several minutes of installation/deinstallation each time.

In your experience (obviously it varies depending on chair set up) how stable is it when cornering?
    My chair is 13" wide with only 2 degrees of camber and a relatively high center of gravity (seat pan is relatively high), the width at my tires is something less than 20 inches. I'm worried even a mild turn might tip me over.

Is there a way to test drive a Stricker before you purchase?
    If/when I can come up with the money I'd be willing to travel fairly far to test one, but there's no way I'd be dropping 6 grand blind.
    I got mine last year tried dragon fly I am c6c7 and I amd 67 never could get it the dragon by myself stricker hooked rolling 2 minutes maybe I just come in from a 5 mile normal 6 but canal street whipped my butt last time going the sand is to deep need rain I ride to church I meet more people in both communities I love it I ave 6 miles very fuw3 day I miss best $$$ I spent

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    That is an awesome video Thank you.

So is that 6 years in an ICON chair? what's the verdict? I have their Marvel chair... one of these days I'll demo their ICON chair.

I'm no fan of those attachments, but the beast looks like a lot of fun.... would be interested to see it going up inclines to see at what point it starts to spin out.
    Is the beast an ICON product ? any links to it?

What is the power assist at the 26 second mark ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    Whilst my son doesn’t have a Stricker (I don’t believe that they will connect to an Icon Fuente!), he is used to going at speed, with both his old Firefly and, more recently, “The Beast” (more on that in a second). I think he only tipped the Firefly a couple of times accidentally, both at very low speeds. One was actually inside a classroom, where he decided that tight circles as fast as he could would be a good idea for some reason....

The greatest instability seems to be when one chair wheel hits a large bump, but the other doesn’t. Mostly off-road.

Perhaps my son went through a learning curve with turning. He certainly doesn’t try to do tight turns if he’s going fast.

Anyway, here’s a little video that might help you out regarding stability (and includes “The Beast”). Yes, it’s pretty much an Icon advert, but that was deliberate as the Icon guys have gone out of their way to help us out a couple of times, including a few weeks ago when we were on holiday in Scotland and I noticed a crack in the front wing assembly (after almost 6 years of abuse)...the international Icon distributor (who is based in Denmark) got the part to us within 3 days of me getting in touch with him. Can’t get much better service than that!

https://youtu.be/t8JKgtao57I

Lol, alright, at least now I know where you're coming from. I thought I was a risk taker...

BTW when I was riding my motorcycle through Mexico in my former life, the interstate like highways with two or three lanes either direction and a paved shoulder/breakdown lane just outside Mexico City routinely had very serious looking cyclists on it. Traffic was more akin to 85 South when you get out into SC and it's just two lanes, but the crazy thing was cars would routinely pull into what I would consider the shoulder to allow cars in the right lane to pass them. The cyclists seemed rather crazy to me at the time, and I was an idiot 23 year old riding a motorcycle through a foreign country where I didn't speak the language with no particular plan for where I was gonna lay my head each night. But all that to say you're probably in good company. Shame they chased you off the highway.
    When I was on World Ride 95 telling the story of my brief stent down 85 and saying how the trooper told me it was illegal in all 50 states a guy from Oregon told me that he was not quite right. It seems that in Oregon at least at the time allowed cyclist on the interstate on the shoulder or break down lane however you want to call it to encourage commuting to work on your bike. I know people were moving really fast and it could easily go very badly very quickly if someone not paying attention veered over onto the shoulder or someone decides to use the shoulder as a passing lane but I really liked having all that room between me an the traffic even though they were going very fast.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Remember freeway/motorway speed is 70mph here, at the minimum.

http://www.countryfile.com/article/c...hard-shoulders

JuniorSenior; I've been handcycling for 43 years next month. Have owned or built dozens of hc's. Last year, my insurance bought me a Stricker as a replacement for the recumbent hc I still ride.

I'm fortunate I can ride from home in a rural area. the roads are terrible and traffic is getting heavier. I probably look in the rear mirror more than I do looking forward. My shoulders are shot so have been using one of Mark Brertons road Race Power pods with a 48v x 20ah lithium battery to help with the mileage. I like it better than the Stricker only because I can get over 30mph without pedaling, if I choose, to give the shoulders a rest on the longer rides. It's my go to bike for rides on the street. I transfer in/out/ via a trough I built next to my workshop. It puts the bike seat and wheelchair at the same height.

The Stricker I have only been using on my deadend 1 1/4mile road. 10 times up and back works for me. The two bikes offer different attacks on the core muscles. I'm really amazed at the quality of the Sttricker. It takes literally seconds to attach the bike and be on my way. I never bought an attachable before because of the quality that was out there. The Stricker uses top quality parts. The downside I had with it was setting it up which could have been rectified if they put marks on it to balance out both sides evenly. I also wish the "start up" trigger had a faster speed. I'm sure it would just take inputting it to a faster speed. At my age and years on the bike, I like to sit back and cruise to give the shoulders a little break. It's not a big deal because the bike is so smooth and rides without much effort. I like the Stricker for the ease of attaching and quality and the recumbent for the way it stretches out the legs and is well.. a hand cycle..

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is camber on the wheelchair. If you have camber and lift the front wheels off the ground, it'll cause drag on the rear wheels. I have 0 camber on the chair I use for the Stricker so no drag. It'll wear out tires in no time if you have camber or your toe in-out is not in alignment.

You mention exercise in your first post and sounds like you don't have a lot of space. If you have to take the bike somewhere to ride or the streets around you are not conducive to ride safely, you may want to think about other alternatives. Being the bike nut I am, I recommend a bike if it's safe to ride where you live. Don't forget with an attachable, you will need help taking it into your apt. or out to the road. The more obstacles it takes to get on the road can determine if you'll stick with riding. It's why so many have hand cycles rusting away in the spare room.

I also use a Vita Glide for strength and cardio. It may be the way for you to go if you can't get on the road. The new version takes up less space than any handcycle and is something you can do indoors at any time. I have a tv in front of mine and workout for an hour. Besides my hand cycle, the Vita Glide is the best piece of equipment I've found for staying in shape in a chair. Mines getting older so may upgrade to the newer version.

Which ever way you decide to go, you won't regret it. There's nothing like being on the road and out of the chair. And if you go Vita Glide; it'll work you out and increase the cardio bigtime. In the meantime, get out there and wheel the roads or sidewalks. If there are slight hills, go up and down them; forward and backwards. Like my road, if it's short, do multiple circuits. It doesn't take much; it takes doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    That is an awesome video Thank you.

So is that 6 years in an ICON chair? what's the verdict? I have their Marvel chair... one of these days I'll demo their ICON chair.

I'm no fan of those attachments, but the beast looks like a lot of fun.... would be interested to see it going up inclines to see at what point it starts to spin out.
    Is the beast an ICON product ? any links to it?

What is the power assist at the 26 second mark ?
    Just so I don’t de-rail this thread any more, I’ll answer your questions in this thread: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?255407
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Patrick

Do you have a rear view mirror on your stricker if so what did you mount it to