Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rio Dragonfly vs a handcycle such as Top End Excelerator

Of people who own the Strickers, I've got a couple questions. You guys almost have me convinced (although I need to come up with $6,000 first).

Once it's set up, how quick is it to put in on/off the chair?
    I'm trying to see if it's feasible to ride it to a destination and stop off for just a cup of coffee or something or should I plan on several minutes of installation/deinstallation each time.

In your experience (obviously it varies depending on chair set up) how stable is it when cornering?
    My chair is 13" wide with only 2 degrees of camber and a relatively high center of gravity (seat pan is relatively high), the width at my tires is something less than 20 inches. I'm worried even a mild turn might tip me over.

Is there a way to test drive a Stricker before you purchase?
    If/when I can come up with the money I'd be willing to travel fairly far to test one, but there's no way I'd be dropping 6 grand blind.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I grew up in CLT, and I'm pretty familiar with your route there from Kannapolis to Salisbury. How have you not been run over and killed by a pickup truck already doing that run? Surely you don't take 29!?!?!?!? A secret back road route I'm guessing?

With regard to manual vs electric assist, having put at least a few miles on a traditional handcycle with a more upright posture, electric assist would be a lifesaver. Without it (especially early on, though I never really got in shape) hills were a killer. I'd go from 30 mph downhill to 18-20 mph on a smooth, flat road to like 0.25 mph climbing a not so steep hill. It was brutal and ruined my cadence, even when I downshifted all the way. A little electric assist to boost up the hill would have made it much more enjoyable and I bet the workout you missed grinding slowly up that hill would be made up by the longer distance you'd be able to cover.
    Leaving Salisbury South Main St turns into 29 once I am to China Grove it is Main St through CG, Landis into Kannapolis past the Research campus then to Dale Earnhardt Blvd over to Sams Club at exit 60 if you were going 85. Not even a close call on that route. I have been doing this for 25years. A few years back I went from Salisbury to Charlotte and back and from Concord to Charlotte yes 29 was my route. I know there are definitely benefits to the electric assist in work out and time savings etc... So far I have not trusted myself not to overuse it and then there is the price... I purchased mine off this site https://handbike.de/wp/basar/ and have $1700 in it as opposed to $3700 When I do get one with Electric assist it will probably be from the same site. Since I have done it once will not be near as nervous the second time, whenever that is
    The girl did not want to ship to USA and most do not, but a guy on CC hooked me up with a guy named Franz and he arranged the shipping over here that guy had purchased one from Franz on eBay Germany https://www.ebay.de/
    Last edited by djrolling; 05-07-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Of people who own the Strickers, I've got a couple questions. You guys almost have me convinced (although I need to come up with $6,000 first).

Once it's set up, how quick is it to put in on/off the chair?
    I'm trying to see if it's feasible to ride it to a destination and stop off for just a cup of coffee or something or should I plan on several minutes of installation/deinstallation each time.

In your experience (obviously it varies depending on chair set up) how stable is it when cornering?
    My chair is 13" wide with only 2 degrees of camber and a relatively high center of gravity (seat pan is relatively high), the width at my tires is something less than 20 inches. I'm worried even a mild turn might tip me over.

Is there a way to test drive a Stricker before you purchase?
    If/when I can come up with the money I'd be willing to travel fairly far to test one, but there's no way I'd be dropping 6 grand blind.
    I am a para and I would say under a minute or minute tops...

I have only tipped over twice in 25 years neither time with the attachment but with an upright Quickie mach2. I was just going to fast. I lean into the curves for sure and I can take a right turn at 15mph if nothing is coming in the opposite direction on the street I am turning on to I have very little camber on the chair that I use with my attachment. I think this chair is 28 inches wide measuring from the outside of push rim to outside of push rim at the bottom of the wheels

There are only three places that
    I know of that sell them here in the US Bike-on.com being the least expensive last time I checked. I really do not know if they keep any tester bikes on hand I know recently Bike-on has sold some floor models so I really do not know This is one of the places and this link is for people that want to try out what they sell so you might try contacting them http://www.broadenedhorizons.com/dealers/ The Stricker site only list Bike-on as USA dealer but the Broadened Horizons site has them for sale I could not find the third one.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    Leaving Salisbury South Main St turns into 29 once I am to China Grove it is Main St through CG, Landis into Kannapolis past the Research campus then to Dale Earnhardt Blvd over to Sams Club at exit 60 if you were going 85. Not even a close call on that route. I have been doing this for 25years. A few years back I went from Salisbury to Charlotte and back and from Concord to Charlotte yes 29 was my route. I know there are definitely benefits to the electric assist in work out and time savings etc... So far I have not trusted myself not to overuse it and then there is the price... I purchased mine off this site https://handbike.de/wp/basar/ and have $1700 in it as opposed to $3700 When I do get one with Electric assist it will probably be from the same site. Since I have done it once will not be near as nervous the second time, whenever that is
    The girl did not want to ship to USA and most do not, but a guy on CC hooked me up with a guy named Franz and he arranged the shipping over here that guy had purchased one from Franz on eBay Germany https://www.ebay.de/
    That's not as bad as 29 all the way, but still a rather busy road. I'm assuming you're in the street and not up on the sidewalks.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I am a para and I would say under a minute or minute tops...

I have only tipped over twice in 25 years neither time with the attachment but with an upright Quickie mach2. I was just going to fast. I lean into the curves for sure and I can take a right turn at 15mph if nothing is coming in the opposite direction on the street I am turning on to I have very little camber on the chair that I use with my attachment. I think this chair is 28 inches wide measuring from the outside of push rim to outside of push rim at the bottom of the wheels

There are only three places that
    I know of that sell them here in the US Bike-on.com being the least expensive last time I checked. I really do not know if they keep any tester bikes on hand I know recently Bike-on has sold some floor models so I really do not know This is one of the places and this link is for people that want to try out what they sell so you might try contacting them http://www.broadenedhorizons.com/dealers/ The Stricker site only list Bike-on as USA dealer but the Broadened Horizons site has them for sale I could not find the third one.
    Yeah for a apples to apples comparison my outer distance at the bottom push rim to push rim is 21.5 inches, and the lowest part of the top of my cushion (so where my ass sits) is about 24 inches off the ground, so I'm rather top heavy. I'd really need to hook one up to the chair before I could spend that kind of money.

As far as technical questions John a t Bike-On will give it to you straight and knows way more than i do. I have a 17" Tilite folder. No camber. Wheras I wouldn't mind a little camber for cycling I have never felt tippy at all I also have a high COG. Not sure your age but keep thinking on it and asking questions and talking to end users. Time on and off is about a minute but you would want to lock it up if going in to restraunt etc.

@djrolling I think I sent you a pm but idk if it worked?

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    As far as technical questions John a t Bike-On will give it to you straight and knows way more than i do. I have a 17" Tilite folder. No camber. Wheras I wouldn't mind a little camber for cycling I have never felt tippy at all I also have a high COG. Not sure your age but keep thinking on it and asking questions and talking to end users. Time on and off is about a minute but you would want to lock it up if going in to restraunt etc.
    I'm 35, but I definitely won't have the money for one for at least another 3 years at least, so I've got time to think on it. I'ma be pretty broke if I can ever get this DME to accept my insurance for a new chair. I figure it's not that big of a deal to bring a bicycle lock to lock it up. just run it through the wheel I guess?

That's not as bad as 29 all the way, but still a rather busy road. I'm assuming you're in the street and not up on the sidewalks.
    Yep been riding the roads since 1993 When I was training for World Ride 95 I went down the shoulder of I-85 for a few miles before the State patrol kicked me off. I had seen people walking down the shoulder before so I thought if they can do that I can cycle down the shoulder but the State Patrol schooled me that it was also illegal to walk down the shoulder as well. He said the call center lit up with calls about a guy in a wheelchair going down 85 I know I might be crazy....
    Last edited by djrolling; 05-08-2018 at 01:02 AM.

I lock the front wheel to whatever is around to lock to. Sometimes there are bike racks but most of the time not and I just ride it in places like Walmart. If it is not real busy sometimes ride it into Mcdonalds if it is not a real small one