Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rio Dragonfly vs a handcycle such as Top End Excelerator

Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    As John said I have a stricker with assist. There are so many advantages it's hard to name them all . Avery high quality of construction for 1. Also you can control your workout by adding the amount of assist you want/need. I did not have to change my COG on my chair. I have had some version of a hand cycle for almost 30 years. I would say I put more miles on my stricker in 3 weeks than the rest combined. mainly due transport and transfer issues. Yes it's a big investment but the quality of life that it adds is hard to put a price on.
    Sounds like a winner, but dear Jesus, it's like $6,000 for the para version and $7,500 for the "tetra" version. That's nuts. Might as well get a brand new chair while you're at it so you don't accidentally scratch your expensive handcycle with your raggedy every day chair.

Ya it took me a while to pull the trigger on that price. I am going to be 62 next month. I hope to ride at least 10 more years. So it's kinda of a once in a life time investment. Wish i would have done it a long time ago.

Yes I agree on the Stricker now too. If you were 29, would you still go electric assist? How fast is a sustainable speed without the assist?

I don't particularly like the cables being on the cranks, so if I could get away with the version with no cables and the brake lever on the frame I would like that the most I think. But I want to be able to get going at like 7-8mph on flat ground as well

Quote Originally Posted by juniorsenior View Post
    Yes I agree on the Stricker now too. If you were 29, would you still go electric assist? How fast is a sustainable speed without the assist?

I don't particularly like the cables being on the cranks, so if I could get away with the version with no cables and the brake lever on the frame I would like that the most I think. But I want to be able to get going at like 7-8mph on flat ground as well
    I am a para and I purchased one used and have put 13000 plus miles on the Stricker sport model without electric assist in the last two years. I am 59 years old but have been handcycling for 25 years. I do not plan on going electric assist till I have too. A lot of miles are transportation but when I am cycling to Kannapolis and back for a workout I average around 10mph on a 40 mile round trip. I usually get a bite to eat once I get to Kannapolis and then pedal back to Salisbury. I am not sure if I had the electric assist now that I would use it more than I need too. Although I could see that it might lead to better cardio workout more often if I had electric assist. I would rather pedal than drive. Probably only drive 1000 miles a year.

im 46, if i had a attachable at 29 yes, i would of had assist .. i get a better workout. i sell way more hybrid units than manual. as pete mentioned you can adjust the throttle and assist levels based on terrain , workout ect. either hybrid or manual, you cant go wrong. your getting out there working hard and enjoying the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by juniorsenior View Post

Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I am a para and I purchased one used and have put 13000 plus miles on the Stricker sport model without electric assist in the last two years. I am 59 years old but have been handcycling for 25 years. I do not plan on going electric assist till I have too. A lot of miles are transportation but when I am cycling to Kannapolis and back for a workout I average around 10mph on a 40 mile round trip. I usually get a bite to eat once I get to Kannapolis and then pedal back to Salisbury. I am not sure if I had the electric assist now that I would use it more than I need too. Although I could see that it might lead to better cardio workout more often if I had electric assist. I would rather pedal than drive. Probably only drive 1000 miles a year.
    nice DJ. ive done several for commuters in nyc for going to work and back.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Either way, you go if you get a Stricker I do not think you will be disappointed or regret it. Handcycling has made a huge difference in my life and continues to daily

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    A lot of miles are transportation but when I am cycling to Kannapolis and back for a workout I average around 10mph on a 40 mile round trip. I usually get a bite to eat once I get to Kannapolis and then pedal back to Salisbury. I am not sure if I had the electric assist now that I would use it more than I need too. Although I could see that it might lead to better cardio workout more often if I had electric assist.
    I grew up in CLT, and I'm pretty familiar with your route there from Kannapolis to Salisbury. How have you not been run over and killed by a pickup truck already doing that run? Surely you don't take 29!?!?!?!? A secret back road route I'm guessing?

With regard to manual vs electric assist, having put at least a few miles on a traditional handcycle with a more upright posture, electric assist would be a lifesaver. Without it (especially early on, though I never really got in shape) hills were a killer. I'd go from 30 mph downhill to 18-20 mph on a smooth, flat road to like 0.25 mph climbing a not so steep hill. It was brutal and ruined my cadence, even when I downshifted all the way. A little electric assist to boost up the hill would have made it much more enjoyable and I bet the workout you missed grinding slowly up that hill would be made up by the longer distance you'd be able to cover.

I am 63 with MS; I can stand and walk a bit. I own a Dragonfly, which required a lot of significant tweaking to become functional and reliable. I can share details if you ask. I used to work on bikes so tweaking was okay for me, but it's not for everyone.

I got my last chair with an extra axle mounted on amputee mounts to achieve traction. Gordy1 is spot on about Dragonfly's traction.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>