Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for any options besides suicide

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Alan, look into CBD oil. I have never tried it but have heard good things.
    Beyond CBD, I've also heard one of the lesser known cannabinoids, THCV, has shown some promise for neuropathy.

I just wanted to say that we're in the same boat here with the pain (my husband is C 6/7). Desperately seeking some sort of solution, and we've tried many. That includes being on opioids for 5 or 6 years, and being discharged for an additional (not prescribed) medicine in his system. That was 7 months ago or so, and we're in a world of shit now. Things were kind of manageable then. Xanax helps. We figured that out right after the injury when he took a small amount for sleep each night. It was the only time he wasn't in pain for the whole day. This of course comes with limitations, as no one wants to prescribe it, and he now takes a lot more than he started with, and has tolerance. So if he just stays on the same amount for too long, it doesn't help. If he had more of it, it would work (good). We hate it but if given the choice between hell or that, we had no choice. I just wanted to say that we understand. Smoking a little pot seems to help too. He hates being stoned, so he resists when i tell him to do that. He's also been taking "Kratom" , which is derived from some leaf somewhere overseas. It has an opiate effect, though milder. It gets him off the couch, but I"m not sure if that's the mood altering part or what. He says it helps a little but isn't any kind of miracle. They've always tried to push a baclofen pump on us, which we are seriously considering at this point. Running out of options. He wants to die anymore, and I'm not sure how many times i can ask him to hold on for one more day. MUCH LOVE

JacksonsGirl, please describe his pain.

He has nerve pain- Burning, burning, burning. From the injury level down, which covers most of his body. His quality of life is ZERO, and he is on the verge here. I have no idea what to do anymore. We're both wearing down.

Jim, can you tell me more about lithium? I googled it but didn't find a lot. Do you take it? I saw a few studies indicating that it helps some w neuro pain, but there isn't tons of info out there on it, at least not in the way of pain relief

Dr. Young has a clinical trial network in China/Hong Kong, and has run 7 clinical trials there. It was reported in several papers that oral lithium improved recovery scores in spinal injured rats. To test this in humans, a phase 1 clinical trial to evaluate the safety and pharmacokinetics of a six week course of oral lithium in spinal cord injury patients was conducted. There was concern that lithium may increase neuropathic pain, so the Visual Analog Scale was used to measure pain. The surprise finding was those with severe neuropathic pain experienced a major reduction. Although lithium was only taken for six weeks, their pain did not come back, even when examined six months later.

A phase II double blind, placebo-controlled trial in 30 patients had seimilar findings and will soon be published. Neuropathic pain is so complex, and there are many different types. Beause of this, the data was very difficuly to analyze. It worked in some, not in others. All of those it did work for, had severe neuropathic pain.

I don't want to get your hope up, but its worth a shot. It can be prescribed off label by his dr and he can continue on his other meds. Blood levels must be monitored.

If you email me I can give you more info jimbenn@rutgers.edu.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonsGirl View Post
    Jim, can you tell me more about lithium? I googled it but didn't find a lot. Do you take it? I saw a few studies indicating that it helps some w neuro pain, but there isn't tons of info out there on it, at least not in the way of pain relief
    This phase II was completed less than a year ago. We are planning to repeat in the US, but he doesn't need to wait for that, dr can prescribe off-label.

Most of the published research on the use of lithium for neuropathic pain are animal studies.

Here is one promising article from Dr. Young's group about lithium and SCI that you can share with your provider. They may be reluctant to order off-label without some published evidence base supporting this:

https://www.nature.com/articles/sc2011126

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I have burning in my feet that ranges daily from very annoying to brutal.

Oxycodone helped somewhat, but tolerance built up over time and i didn't want to become a slave to opiates.

I tried Lyrica but didn't like how i felt on it and it was another downer mixed with the Oxycodone.

Well, i didn't want to keep taking more and more Oxycodone, so i gave Lyrica another try. Thankfully i did.

Now i take Lyrica three times a day and only take the Oxycodone on days when my feet are in the brutal stage, this has helped it's effectiveness, and i no longer feel like i have to take Oxycodone each day because my body craves it outside of pain issues. I even had my doctor lower the amount of Oxycodone i get each month.

There are still days where the pain is so bad, neither med can contain it, but for the most part, this is the best place i've been pain wise in awhile and mentally.

The CBD oil hasn't helped. I haven't tried lithium.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.