Thread: Open question for Fly_Pelican regarding a past thing that we were talking about

Open question for Fly_Pelican regarding a past thing that we were talking about

the forums just dead and I am just trying to drum up a little conversation

A few months ago we were having a discussion where I said something to the effect that I would like to see the Umbilical cord blood treatment of scinetusa and epi-stim used in tandem as a therapy. You weren't too keen on that suggestion at the time, has your opinion changed with recent publication and case studies that epi-stim is indeed beneficial in completes and same with chinascinet... And Jim, has there been any talks or anything that you know of about talks between the researchers looking to combine strategies
    Last edited by lunasicc42; 05-07-2018 at 07:38 PM.
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

They have to show efficacy on their own first.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    They have to show efficacy on their own first.

Epi-stim has indeed already shown efficacy
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Hi Anthony, I didn't say anything about being keen or not on the combination. I think what I had said, or at least insinuated in previous posts, was that you're unlikely to see the two experimental procedures/technologies combined in the US (or any Western country) until both have been deemed safe and at least one has been deemed effective in an FDA (or other agency) approved clinical trial. Combinations, whether we think or believe they are additive or not, face the long road through to the clinic, sadly.

Jan-Eric Ahflor's NSCs + the biomatrix is a perfect example that the clinical pipeline in the West is not kindly to combining two (or more) experimental technologies. In 2014 Jan-Eric was able to show a few patients in Russia that had received the cells+matrix combination and made some impressive changes in function.

Fast forward 3 years, the Ahflors(Fortuna Fix) trial being planned in North America has to test the NSCs in isolation first in one clinical trial (acute/sub-acute setting) and the matrix in another (most likely acute setting again), before they can be combined in a chronic injury setting. And all this despite the original combination being originally designed for chronic injury!

How long would it be before Fortuna Fix tests the next chronic injured human? 6 or 7 years after 2014? As you can see this potentially adds 5-10 years and 10s of millions of dollars to the cost of testing/marketing the combination.

This is what we face for combinations! You wonder why the investment isn't forthcoming for SCI repair technologies?
    Last edited by Fly_Pelican_Fly; 05-08-2018 at 08:26 AM.