Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car controls for performance orientated drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    There is no best hand control. It all depends on the application.
    That!

I own (or have owned) a number of decent cars (Porsche 911 / 968, BMW M3 CSL, BMW V10 M5, Audi v8 S4, BMW M2 etc) and stick to the relatively cheap custom push-pull controls as they're bombproof and can be quickly installed and easily removed when you change the car. A few years ago I had a modified R34 Skyline with a manual clutch conversation, never again, the adaption was more hassle then it was worth.

attached a few pics
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I use a standard monarch handcontrol with the right angle accelerator in three different cars. It's adjusted to be quite sensitive and I am able to drive all of my cars pretty aggressively. Like PFCS49, I'm an audi guy and currently own a 2002 Allroad 2.7t with slightly modded stage 1 with a tiptonic/automatic transmission. Very fun to drive hard. I've also owned a 2006 A4 2.0T with a ton of mods and took it canyon carving all of the time. I would also be interested in the electronic accelerators but cost is an issue and since I have three cars (2015 Honda Odyssey family van, 2004 Acura MDX SUV for hauling, and Audi Allroad for commute/fun) I just have the cheap monarch handcontrols that I can install myself in all of my cars.
    http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.

Quote Originally Posted by outkastsl View Post
    Like PFCS49, I'm an audi guy and currently own a 2002 Allroad 2.7t with slightly modded stage 1 with a tiptonic/automatic transmission.
    Sorry, I just had to!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Sorry, I just had to!

Haha, I've seen that video all over the audi websites and social media.

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.

Haha, I've seen that video all over the audi websites and social media.
    The 2.7l was not a terrible motor......Maybe the K03's were not great but I had over 110K, and 70K of those miles on a Stage II set up, with no issues at all ;-).

The air suspension on the other hand could have been better executed.

Cheers,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    The 2.7l was not a terrible motor......Maybe the K03's were not great but I had over 110K, and 70K of those miles on a Stage II set up, with no issues at all ;-).

The air suspension on the other hand could have been better executed.

Cheers,
    Jim
    I purposefully bought the allroad because of the air suspension and the 2.7T. I just bought it in September 2017 because I needed something with good cargo area and lower transfer height, with the ability to do snow so the allroad was it. The previous owner had installed a lower mileage 70K motor and brand new k03 turbos so now it's currently at 100k on the motor and 30k on the turbos. Overall runs great and I wish I can go with a stage 2 but in california I don't want to deal with smog issues with the downpipes. SO FAR the air suspension is holding up.

The issues the Land Rover guy complained about were amusing! Rovers certainly have no place calling the pot black!

Until recent retirement, almost 50% of the business at phil's Foreign Car Service was Audis.
    The automatics on the late sedans and All Roads was almost bulletproof; Tiptronic is just a marketing ploy; tipronic allows you to control the automatic trans valve body and shift gears at your command, sequentially; the full automatic transmission is unaware who is calling for the shifts, it' program or the driver. The variomatic CVTs in the cabriolets are a disaster, but they are rare. The full automatics, practically bulletproof if you kept fluid in them!
    The 2.7 twin turbochargers are very reliable-unlike the 1.8T A4 single turbo. I only replaced one in my 45 years in business compared to perhaps 50 1.8T turbos! I had a customer with 235K on his Allroad, original turbos.
    I think the only criticism that was realistic was the air suspension. AFAIK, ALL air suspensions suck! The air shocks are bound to fail, as did one in my wife 2012 R350 Benz.
    And his statement that you have to remove the whole front of the car to do the timing belt? Shucks! All Audis with belts for ~20 years require you to put the nose into "the service position" which amounts to disconnecting not many things, and sliding the nose forward on two long bolts, about 6", to access the timing components. No big deal!
    Actually, it was pretty manageable.....until Audi decided to delete belts and go to a five chain timing chain setup...behind the engine....which requires removing the transmission to replace any component. AUDI, living up to it's name: AnotherUnbelievablelyDumbIdea!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

so far with 189k miles, the transmission and the air suspension is holding up. The previous owner did do the air compressor rebuild. With tons of receipts this car is in great condition mechanically other than some bad wiring when the previous owner had a shop swap the motor causing some misfires and I had a shop replace the entire engine harness because it was hacked up a bit. Other than that it's just been new plugs, new ECT, and now an oilchange. I do most of my own work still from the wheelchair unless I can't reach or see it. Audi and it's "over-engineering" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by sarcastrix View Post
    That!

I own (or have owned) a number of decent cars (Porsche 911 / 968, BMW M3 CSL, BMW V10 M5, Audi v8 S4, BMW M2 etc) and stick to the relatively cheap custom push-pull controls as they're bombproof and can be quickly installed and easily removed when you change the car. A few years ago I had a modified R34 Skyline with a manual clutch conversation, never again, the adaption was more hassle then it was worth.

attached a few pics
    which hand control is that?

which hand control is that?
    It's a UK company: http://www.jeffgosling.co.uk/