Thread: Sumo fat wheels?

Sumo fat wheels?

Hello All,
    Total newbie here. I am anticipating the delivery of my Tilite ZRA by the end of the month....pretty stoked to get out of the behemoth that I was sent home in. With that said I spend a lot of time outside and have done a bunch of reading on how to make life a bit easier off the "beaten path". I have ordered a Freewheel as well as a set of Spinergy Sumo wheels through Living Spinal. It seems they are the exclusive dealer for these wheels and there are no reviews on these wheels at all. I know it is a bit late but wondering is anyone has any experience with them?

For vanity sake I also ordered a pair of Carbon blades. I know they are expensive but they are just so damn sexy so I figured if I have to spend all day in a chair I might as well like how it looks. It is interesting that Spinergy changed the material they use on the carbon blades. The older ones used more of a spread tow weave where as the newer ones are more of a conventional weave. I personally prefer the look of the newer ones.

Cheers,
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Those Sumo wheels are OK, but they suffer from the same old issue as most (all) "fat tire" solutions: wheel spacing. If you don't intentionally space your everyday wheels out farther than necessary (for minimal width during everyday rolling - a high priority IMO), then the Sumo tires will rub. We need another company to pick up the old Rogue design, which included ~1" offset on the inside of the hub, so spacing would remain the same swapping from everyday to off-road sized tires.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Those Sumo wheels are OK, but they suffer from the same old issue as most (all) "fat tire" solutions: wheel spacing. If you don't intentionally space your everyday wheels out farther than necessary (for minimal width during everyday rolling - a high priority IMO), then the Sumo tires will rub. We need another company to pick up the old Rogue design, which included ~1" offset on the inside of the hub, so spacing would remain the same swapping from everyday to off-road sized tires.

That is ingenuous. Yes, talking to Andrew at Living Spinal he thought that I would have to use spacers so I pickup up a set and new pins.

Cheers,
    Jim

That is ingenious. Yes, I was recommended spacers on these as well.

I should have them on Saturday but I am afraid my chair does not show up until the end of the month.

Cheers,
    Jim