Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peristeen??

Peristeen??

Greetings all!
    Anybody use the Peristeen? Is it the mighty bowel evacuator they claim?

This is the first time I watched their how-to video. Pretty sure I can't do the standing portions but it seems like it should do wonders.
    Might be a good backup plan for those trying days.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

I finally got a return call from Coloplast. I had tried email, 800 phone call, regular mail to get more information.

The Peristeen machine is not covered by Medicare in the United States, although some private insurance companies do cover the costs. Cost...a lot!

The representative talked in vague terms, but I think I understand that the device is about $175.00 and lasts for 90 cycles (bowel programs). The anal catheters are $350.00 for a box of 15 catheters, so for 90 cycles you need 6 boxes of catheters at a cost of $2100.00, then there is the incidental replacement of the water vessel. If you are doing a bowel program every other day, the machine and supplies are going to last six months at a cost of $2275.00 (plus water bag replacements).

Coloplast recommends single use of the catheters, but I have read on this forum that people do reuse them, which would reduce the costs some.

There is more information and user discussion here (including the system I use that I refer to as the Poor Man's Peristeen):
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ight=peristeen
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ight=peristeen

Flowmaster eh? Interesting. How often do you use it? Do you just use warm water?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Flowmaster eh? Interesting. How often do you use it? Do you just use warm water?
    Use it every second day. Monday, Thursday, Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday...

I take the temperature of the water with an instant read thermometer, 97.0 degrees. In about 1-1/2 quarts of water I add about 1-1/4+ teaspoon plain table salt.

I do my program bedside in a commode chair, although I am thinking about moving the commode chair to the tiled floor bathroom. Problem is NL has to push the commode chair and I am too long legged to use the footrests on my commode chair, so holding my legs up and pulling the chair into the bathroom is the only way, but that is precarious. We leave the catheter in place for about 10 minutes after emptying the water bag. When NL removes the catheter, I don't start passing water/stool immediately. It usually takes a digital stimulation or two to get things going. When things get going water/stool can be expelled explosively, so NL covers a large area beside the bed to help contain the mess that doesn't make it into the commode tub. We are still working on technique. Many say they do the bowel program in the shower, and just wash all the water/stool down the drain. Work in progress. But, I can't imagine things go differently with the Peristeen. What comes out comes out, just the same.

okay that's damned expensive compared to magic bullets or enemeez!
    I recently bit the bullet on a Raz shower chair and can't say enough good things about it. Expensive but so much better than my older chair. Self-propelled too!

gjnl, how much time do you get between "fill-up" and "shitpocalypse"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    okay that's damned expensive compared to magic bullets or enemeez!
    I recently bit the bullet on a Raz shower chair and can't say enough good things about it. Expensive but so much better than my older chair. Self-propelled too!

gjnl, how much time do you get between "fill-up" and "shitpocalypse"?
    I'm getting better results with the Poor Man's Peristeen than I got with Magic Bullets (35 years of use) and Enemeez (never got them to work), and am not having to do an every other day program. Plus, NL was having to do so much digital stimulation in addition to the Magic Bullet that I had some bleeding, that we didn't like occurring. NL still removes stool from the rectal vault before inserting the anal catheter. So from that time to clean up and back in bed, it is about 45 minutes. NL's method is to do one pump, lets the pump bulb refill, counts to 4 or 5 then pumps again.

It would seem any moving about after loading up with water would be rather risky so the transfer from your side to the bedside commode seems scary. I'm going to have to try one of these approaches as my current routine is way too long and way too much stim.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    It would seem any moving about after loading up with water would be rather risky so the transfer from your side to the bedside commode seems scary. I'm going to have to try one of these approaches as my current routine is way too long and way too much stim.
    Sorry I was not clear. The routine is:
    In bed on side, remove stool in anal vault.
    Transfer to commode chair.
    Insert anal catheter.
    Pump water into the rectum.
    Wait about 10 minutes and remove anal catheter.
    One or two digital stimulations, and
    Be prepared...

Just buy an Irypump, it's better, more conducive to paras and quads, and more cost effective in the long run.