Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A few possibly cheap wheelchair vans...

Current bids in order shown above 3,262, 2,800, 5,454
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    They are asking $1.8K for this one and it's a Ford in better condition.

https://mohave.craigslist.org/cto/6565820752.html
    ???. It's 10 years older and 100K+ more miles.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Current bids in order shown above 3,262, 2,800, 5,454
    Heh, looks like the functional lift one that doesn't need a new hood is getting up there. There is also a standard van identical to the 3, minus the lift and roof modifications, that is running a higher price right now. Seems the wheelchair function of the vans is actually a value detractor looking at that.

Not sure if I'm going to bite on any of these, too big, and someone who was unloading a wheelchair van but a nice conversion type had some issues doing that I heard. I can see the typical craigslist buyer with these vans... "Oh, look at the scratches and how Spartan the interior is" Buy a new van at 10 times the price then you idiot! lol

Yeah, I'm so over playing used car dealer

Ok guys, I've got the ultimate wheelchair vehicle...big enough to live in under a freeway overpass, low miles for a bus, and looks like a nice big lift should be behind that rear hatch/door. Only $650-ish right now for a running moving (supposedly) vehicle

https://ibid.illinois.gov/item.php?id=365381
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    ???. It's 10 years older and 100K+ more miles.
    Yes it's older and has much higher mileage. But it's been in a dry climate (desert) and driven by what appears to be a private party vs Illinois winters and driven by the department of corrections. They will likely both need work. But for less than $2K you could put much more into it. You can rebuild a transmission. What do you do about rusted out body and chassis?

Old Ford stuff scares me. Plastic rots out and gets brittle. On a lark I picked up a 04 Ford 'cause it was real cheap. Plastic vacuum lines cracked, and for extra-reliability...the plastic intake manifold heater hose port just blew off under a high-rpm 'test'. A 20 year old Ford would be even more terrifying! And that Mohave thing is a 1/2 ton...probably time for axle shafts/bearings in that 8.8 rear end, front suspension/brakes is lightweight for being under a 5000lb+ van also. But who cares...just sayin'!

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    How about breaking down/assembling the chair and getting in/out from the passenger/back seat? That's taking a toll doing that several times per day.
    Maybe I'm in denial, but at 70yoa, it's still child's play to me.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Nothing is a problem until it is.

I'm trying like crazy to fundraise for a van before my shoulders are ruined. It's getting close, ten years of hoisting up into a Honda Element using a lever in the D-ring on the door. Hyperextending my shoulders, then getting my chair in. Needless to say, I don't drive much these days. I would hate to have to use a powerchair permanently. Chronic pain already sucks. But fundraising online is not for the faint of heart. I was thinking a full size van would be cheaper, but in the end, probably about the same.
    I got hit by a car yesterday, pretty bad, and I'm worried that pushed my shoulders further into oblivion

I guess for future record in case those sales get cleared out...$7200, $5700, and $5300 for those inclusive of taxes and fees. If you see a giant dark blue big mac top van with peeling paint...now you know

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I guess for future record in case those sales get cleared out...$7200, $5700, and $5300 for those inclusive of taxes and fees. If you see a giant dark blue big mac top van with peeling paint...now you know
    High, but I'm not too surprised, but I bet the lifts come out, end up on craigslist. As you said these vans are for contractors, they are low mileage, running and one tons. It won't take much for an experienced person to swap out and paint that rusted out hood from the wrecking yard, but I would nave avoided that second van due to rust anyway.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.