Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A few possibly cheap wheelchair vans...

A few possibly cheap wheelchair vans...

Currently set up for more unruly wheelchair users, but with a little fixing up maybe one of these would be good for a mega-headroom wheelchair application?

https://mibid.bidcorp.com/auctions/2...es-m3591/56197
    https://mibid.bidcorp.com/auctions/2...es-m6647/56195
    https://mibid.bidcorp.com/auctions/2...es-m3276/56196
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Don't think so unless you have someone to drive for you.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

or really long arms?
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Of course take out the partition and the back seat and it would work great then. Maybe one of those swivel seat bases? Kind of long and tall though. But a big honkin' 1 ton van with big brakes, axles, chassis...would last forever.

Heh, I know these just came out, but I'm actually thinking of one if like under 5K for a toy or flip. I wonder if the high roof will be a big turn-off, or contractors will be all over these like the high-roof euro vans now around?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Heh, I know these just came out, but I'm actually thinking of one if like under 5K for a toy or flip. I wonder if the high roof will be a big turn-off, or contractors will be all over these like the high-roof euro vans now around?
    The one ton, the one with the working ramp could go to a contractor. I have owned and driven full size vans for over 40 years of which one was a one ton. One was a used, stiff riding rusty bucket cargo gmc stick shift that threw an engine rod. It did not matter, a contractor guy was happy to buy it. He wanted a stout van, motor did not matter.
    BTW, the check engine light on this one is probably the gas cap.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Of course take out the partition and the back seat and it would work great then. Maybe one of those swivel seat bases? Kind of long and tall though. But a big honkin' 1 ton van with big brakes, axles, chassis...would last forever.
    Big vans are great for hauling stuff because of the space they provide, but when the lift is in the rear, the space is sacrificed. That is what I was getting at. I bought a couple of those swivel seat bases for my big van. They are not installed yet, don't know when as I don't have a lift. But they look like they will work with the use of a slider board. Leather seats would help though.

Looking for cheaper used vans you might want to look into schools, colleges and state surplus auctions of your state.
    We bought a retired University van years ago. It only had 72K miles when they upgraded fleet. It was in great shape with no rust and had rubber matting in rear with rear entry.
    Got turning seat base installed and kept that puppy for 20 years. With the last 10 years as a backup van. Had put over 150K more miles on her and only thing major ever done was rebuild transmission, replaced gasket under airhorn on fuel injection and had newer lift transferred from a newer van that we traded in on new van.
    Would of kept it cause it was well maintained both by college and us but no longer had room for it at new home.
    With prices these days sure wish we had kept her! We are in need of replacement van. Since we are retired now we are to poor and old to buy new.

$3K is a great purchase price. What will be the total once you're all done with repairs and upgrades? Just a good paint job would be $2K-4K. You probably have hand controls. But how about a door operator and a transfer seat? They may be as little as $1K without installation. But good luck finding it on your schedule. You may have to pay several times that much to get it right away. You're probably looking at over $6K and that's without servicing the engine, rebuilding the transmission, or interior upgrade. With all that stuff, you're over $10K. Still a good deal. But you may be able to do better turnkey like this one rather than fixing a beater.

By the way, do you want a rear lift? Can you have a bed with a rear lift? My Ideal lift is on the side with side entry. That way you don't need any more clearance than a car plus you don't have to play in traffic with a rear lift.

Here's what I want my interior to look like (minus all the useless overhead stuff). Plenty of room for two, a dog, and luggage. I don't think you can have that with a rear lift. Because you need a clear path front to back. With a side lift, you can put a bunch of stuff in the back without ever having to move it to get in and out.