Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antibiotics Taken Daily to Prevent UTI

Antibiotics Taken Daily to Prevent UTI

Does anyone take an antibiotic daily to prevent UTI? What antibiotic do you take? How successful has it been?

I have taken one Bactrim 250mg tablet once a day for 30 years with good results. I have recently been getting more UTI's. Thinking maybe that the Bactrim is becoming resistant after so long.

try gentimiacin instills instead. no resistance issues or any abx issues since just goes direct in the bladder. heres a recent study.

http://www.cuaj.ca/index.php/journal...File/4434/3273
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Geez, taking an antibiotic everyday to prevent a UTI is a bad idea. I take Hiprex with vitamin C as an antiseptic and it seems to work OK. One more thing that I've been doing recently that I think helps out a lot is to take a small pad of Betadine ( povidone iodine) and wipe off the meatus at the tip of your dick before inserting a lubed catheter. It's just an extra step to help eliminate bacteria from getting pushed into your bladder and urethra. Plus it wipes away the crusty "smeg" that can build up at the tip of your dick.
    Last edited by smokey; 05-02-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    i take methenamine hippurate - hiprex 2 times day for last 4 years. no uti's. have super tube - dont know if this is considered an antibiotic but seems to help.

Are you using new sterile catheters each time?

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Geez, taking an antibiotic everyday to prevent a UTI is a bad idea. I take Hiprex with vitamin C as an antiseptic and it seems to work OK. One more thing that I've been doing recently that I think helps out a lot is to take a small pad of Betadine ( providone iodine) and wipe off the meatus at the tip of your dick before inserting a lubed catheter. It's just an extra step to help eliminate bacteria from getting pushed into your bladder and urethra. Plus it wipes away the crusty "smeg" that can build up at the tip of your dick.

Methenamine is not an antibiotic but it changes the urine and makes it difficult for certain organism- usually E. Coli to cause symptoms. It does not help against all organisms but it is worth tryingand does help some. It has been around a long time.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Mike, yes I use new sterile catheters every time I cath. Medicare will pay for new catheters, lube, bags, etc. Betadine is cheap at Walmart, Walgreens.

New sterile catheters are most likely the main reason you don't have infections.

I use nitrofurantoin 100mg daily. It is essentially like a bladder instillation of antibiotics because it has negligible concentrations anywhere except in the urine. Also does not cause resistance.

Went from multiple hospitalizations for UTI/sepsis every year to none in the past 4 years I have been on it.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I use nitrofurantoin 100mg daily. It is essentially like a bladder instillation of antibiotics because it has negligible concentrations anywhere except in the urine. Also does not cause resistance.

Went from multiple hospitalizations for UTI/sepsis every year to none in the past 4 years I have been on it.
    My first urologist (35 years ago) prescribed the same dose of nitrofurantoin (Macrobid) daily. My second urologist pitched a fit when I told him my routine. Haven't been on Marcrobid prophylactic since.