Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Antibiotics Taken Daily to Prevent UTI

If the catheter is sterile yet has to push its way through bacteria and carries it down to the bladder well what good is the sterile cath? Every closed system has an introducer tip that goes in first and provides a clean/sterile pathway through the first half inch maybe a little less. It is thought that most of the infection causing bacteria is in that first half inch. I have used a closed system for the last 15 years maybe more and for that same period of time have not had an infection. Before the closed system, I got them constantly. I have to think cleaning the meatus has a positive effect IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan View Post
    New sterile catheters are most likely the main reason you don't have infections.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    My first urologist (35 years ago) prescribed the same dose of nitrofurantoin (Macrobid) daily. My second urologist pitched a fit when I told him my routine. Haven't been on Marcrobid prophylactic since.
    yeah, people (doctors) get all freaked out when you tell them you’re on chronic abx, and not for no reason, but macrobid is a pretty safe drug that doesn’t cause antibiotic resistance, so as long as it keeps keeping me out of the hospital I’ll keep taking one every evening. Just gotta hope I’m not the one in 1500 people who gets liver injury from chronic use...

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    yeah, people (doctors) get all freaked out when you tell them you’re on chronic abx, and not for no reason, but macrobid is a pretty safe drug that doesn’t cause antibiotic resistance, so as long as it keeps keeping me out of the hospital I’ll keep taking one every evening. Just gotta hope I’m not the one in 1500 people who gets liver injury from chronic use...
    Just curious about what credential you have that makes you so sanguine about prophylactic antibiotic use vis-a-vis the opinion of many medical professionals (doctors)?

Just curious about what credential you have that makes you so sanguine about prophylactic antibiotic use vis-a-vis the opinion of many medical professionals (doctors)?

I absolutely agree that in general it’s a bad idea to take antibiotics every day. But no one (that I’ve been able to find) has demonstrated a risk of antibiotic resistance due to nitrofurantoin use. if a ur?logos or PCP wants to scare me into not taking it they’re going to have to be specific and not just give me the knee jerk reaction that “antibiotics cause resistance”.

And I’m something like a medical professional myself, I just don’t like saying so online cuz I don’t want anything I type drunkenly at 1:00 am to be misconstrued as “medical advice”. So for the purposes of this discussion I’m just a patient sharing my experience above and my own personal rationale for why that works for me.

agree on introducer tip. ive read theres about a 40% uti reduction when using them.
    Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    If the catheter is sterile yet has to push its way through bacteria and carries it down to the bladder well what good is the sterile cath? Every closed system has an introducer tip that goes in first and provides a clean/sterile pathway through the first half inch maybe a little less. It is thought that most of the infection causing bacteria is in that first half inch. I have used a closed system for the last 15 years maybe more and for that same period of time have not had an infection. Before the closed system, I got them constantly. I have to think cleaning the meatus has a positive effect IMO
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

My doctor has prescribed Macrobid 100mg once a day for me also. I will also try the betadine.

Wonder how many are actually using the closed system catheters with the introducer tip vs the plain sterile catheter(hydrophilic catheter). I have never used a closed system.

Quote Originally Posted by kurtsang View Post
    Wonder how many are actually using the closed system catheters with the introducer tip vs the plain sterile catheter(hydrophilic catheter). I have never used a closed system.
    Me neither. It would be interesting to see if it worked from the beginning, like from day 1 of your injury.

I used to clean and reuse caths for a couple years and now I just use a new sterile cath, but it's definitely not a 100% sterile technique. I know I'm super colonized by a bunch of stuff so I figure the little bacteria I'm introducing each time might actually fight off the ones I'm colonized with (just kidding... but kinda not).

Quote Originally Posted by kurtsang View Post
    cant get much better than these.
    http://www.hollister.com/en/products...ttent-Catheter

impossible to ever touch the cath
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Whenever, I have been on an antibiotic for a urinary tract infection, I have upped my intact of probiotics. This may be a good idea when someone is on a prophylactic dose of antibiotics.

Just a comment about my second urologists reaction to prophylactic antibiotics...
    My first urologist (35 years ago) prescribed the same dose of nitrofurantoin (Macrobid) daily. My second urologist pitched a fit when I told him my routine. Haven't been on Marcrobid prophylactic since.
    This second urologist didn't buy into the practice of prophylactic antibiotics to prevent urinary tract infections, and would not prescribe them. Since then, I've consulted with and had for a time a third, fourth, and fifth urologist, none of whom was enthusiastic about prophylactic antibiotics. My current urologist doesn't think I need them since, I am doing so well with Microcyn, but I think he would probably be amenable to prescribing them for his patients who suffer frequent and recurring urinary tract infections. I wonder, if the tide is turning and urologists are once again favoring the practice.