Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATC conversion reliability

ATC conversion reliability

Hey guys, looking for some opinions on ATC truck conversions and reliability. Over the past six years, I had a 2011 Toyota sienna by Braunability. During that time, had multiple issues with the ramp motor and computer system that controlled the ramp system. Went through three or four computers and a motor every year and a half. Don't get me wrong, I used the vehicle quite a bit for work. Almost put 200,000 miles on it before it was totaled in a car accident which I was rear-ended. Getting ready to be looking for a new vehicle and trying to weigh out some options. I've got to have something extremely reliable for work or easy to work on. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks everyone

I plan on going with ATC word of mouth has been good but no experience. Can you tell me your height in wheelchair?

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    I plan on going with ATC word of mouth has been good but no experience. Can you tell me your height in wheelchair?
    I think I sit right at 56 inches in my power chair

Blog Entries
    We have had one for 3 months and zero issues so far.

How tall do you sit in your chair ? Which vehicle did you choose? Headroom is my biggest concern. I hope to have 2" but don't know until M3 is here and seating completed.

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    We have had one for 3 months and zero issues so far.

From my research at 56" you would be sitting with head touching roof. Unless you went with Silverado 2500 3/4 ton which is at 58" I measured 55 1/2 in demo but it was 18" so can gain 1/2" there and maybe 1 1/2 with custom seating gonna be tight. you can add about 8 to 10k for 2500 vs 1500 which sucks but otherwise looking at full size van as other option i don't know what tall people do as i am only 5"9 and that was 40 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by slurpster View Post
    I think I sit right at 56 inches in my power chair

Blog Entries
    How tall do you sit in your chair ? Which vehicle did you choose? Headroom is my biggest concern. I hope to have 2" but don't know until M3 is here and seating completed.
    My son is 56” in a Permmobile mid drive chair. He has a Chevy 1500 crew cab 4x4. He opted for the 6.2 liter engine and short bed. The short bed has 26 gallon tank that is not big enough. The 4x4 truck complicated wheel chair selection because of the transfer case and they require the towing package.

So at 56" doesn't his head hit the ceiling or is there some clearance I have been repeatedly told the 1500 only has 56" overall height. What kind of trouble did transfer case cause as ARC conversion never mentioned this. Lastly Is it an ATC conversion done by company in Indiana? Really appreciate the info

My son is 56” in a Permmobile mid drive chair. He has a Chevy 1500 crew cab 4x4. He opted for the 6.2 liter engine and short bed. The short bed has 26 gallon tank that is not big enough. The 4x4 truck complicated wheel chair selection because of the transfer case and they require the towing package.

Blog Entries
    So at 56" doesn't his head hit the ceiling or is there some clearance I have been repeatedly told the 1500 only has 56" overall height. What kind of trouble did transfer case cause as ARC conversion never mentioned this. Lastly Is it an ATC conversion done by company in Indiana? Really appreciate the info

Yes it it was done in Indiana then the electronics were done locally. The transfer case makes the available floor width narrower. There is an electronic control that sits on the drivers side of the transfer case that can’t be moved. I believe the 2500 has an even wider transfer case than the 1500 making it even more difficult to fit the width of most chairs. We have a 2015 truck. New ones may be different.

Thanks so much for replies . It is very helpful. Still curious about the head room and if sight lines are comfortable for driving. Also how tall would he be up right. lastly with the narrow floor width is he still centered on the steering wheel or off to one side.

Yes it it was done in Indiana then the electronics were done locally. The transfer case makes the available floor width narrower. There is an electronic control that sits on the drivers side of the transfer case that can’t be moved. I believe the 2500 has an even wider transfer case than the 1500 making it even more difficult to fit the width of most chairs. We have a 2015 truck. New ones may be different.