Thread: roho toilet seat

roho toilet seat

i just got a new mariner shower chair the seats on these things are hard has anyone used the roho cushion shaped like a toilet seat on one or at all if so how did you like it
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 04-28-2018 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Two types of Roho toilet/commode seat cushions:

https://www.spinlife.com/ROHO-Toilet...aign=610138039

https://www.sportaid.com/roho-shower.html

You need to use the one that fits your specific commode.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    I didn't like it. With no cover the air cells just displaced to the side and never stayed under where they're needed. YMMV.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I would look at the Action Products overlay also (when I bought it for a non-Mariner chair, I did compare it with the ROHO), thinking about your setting/pressure relief needs/how you transfer.

The big difference between the ROHO wheelchair and shower chair cushions is that there is no cover obviously, so it's a different environment/feel, and well, you're getting covered with water so there are hygiene considerations, as well as comfort. To me, there could be inherent issues in droplets/grime/soap flowing freely around those neoprene air cells and the crevices. Of course, you can shake/wipe/air dry it, but...

We found the Action gel to resist moisture buildup/gunkiness, support Hoyer transfers, and to stay comfortable. My husband was 250# and had a high profile Quadtro Select on his Permobil, so this is nothing against ROHO.

I certainly would not consider that Action Pad to be sufficient for pressure reduction on a hard commode seat, especially for someone who is recovering from a flap (which takes at least a year to heal).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

thanks i may try the roho not sure how itll be as far as transfering on and off it

ive been getting a foam overlay and topping it with a cover in the past from a guy that does apholstery work i may even do that again
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

So sorry I missed the flap hx -- but of course it's not just pressure per se but if/how moisture leads to chafing/new lesions. An unhealed wound merits special protection on any surface, of course.

I have seen no studies of neoprene air cells vs. smooth gel in the waterlogged setting but speculate that what you might gain in pressure relief (which is not optimizable via valve as with a wheelchair cushion) you might lose in climate more generally.

There will be also shear in a transfer from the ROHO as the cells move.

My husband was on warfarin, had ongoing perineal chafing/a connective tissue disorder/slow healing -- I certainly watched for but never saw new redness after showers.

I have used mine for years. So necessary, but I can imagine it being a pain if I transferred myself. With help, I still have it secured to the seat with carefully placed, small bungie cords. I also have it a bit overinflated so it stays cushiony and doesn't bottom out. If you have a specific problem spot, you can tie off those cells if that works for you. Definitely better than those hard seats.
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi