Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asking those with milder injuries

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    "Twitching" can be fasiculation of the muscles (which can occur in lower motor neuron injury) or spasticity and spasms (in upper motor neuron injury). Common for those with spinal cord injury or disease.

Pain, including visceral pain, may occur due to neuropathic pain caused by the cord damage. The uterus is innervated from T10, so that would be consistent with your cyst levels. Talk to your physician about medications used for chronic neuropathic pain, such as Neurontin (gabapentin) or Lyrica (pre-gablin).

(KLD)
    Hi SCI-nurse,

but i definitely have twitches rather than spasms, which makes me wonder whether I also have some kind of lower neuron injury? I was thinking, could it be that the upper neuron problem causes a problem in the muscles of my pelvis, and these muscles damage my peripheral nerves by compressing them when they contract? The symptoms are also worse when I exercise as well.

No, your lower motor neurons in the area of damage of the cord can cause the fasciulations. Damage to the spinal cord nearly always causes damage to both upper and lower motor neurons.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

The cysts developed pretty fast, within 2 months of the initial injury and both above and below the site, and recurred about 6 months after the first surgery. They caused permanent changes in temperature and pain perception (inaccurate, delayed etc), as well as some neuropathies (tingling, burning, shocked feelings w/o stimulus). Even so, I feel very fortunate. Lucky i was diagnosed, lucky they?ve been operable, lucky with the neurosurgeon I have, lucky to have regained function.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    No, your lower motor neurons in the area of damage of the cord can cause the fasciulations. Damage to the spinal cord nearly always causes damage to both upper and lower motor neurons.

(KLD)
    ahhh got it. Yeah I probably needed to look at a diagram of the spinal cord before formulating my question ehehhe.

Quote Originally Posted by annev308 View Post
    The cysts developed pretty fast, within 2 months of the initial injury and both above and below the site, and recurred about 6 months after the first surgery. They caused permanent changes in temperature and pain perception (inaccurate, delayed etc), as well as some neuropathies (tingling, burning, shocked feelings w/o stimulus). Even so, I feel very fortunate. Lucky i was diagnosed, lucky they?ve been operable, lucky with the neurosurgeon I have, lucky to have regained function.
    I see! Sorry to hear what happened to you, but yes, sometimes you are relatively lucky with these things.