Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asking those with milder injuries

Question Asking those with milder injuries

Hi there,

I was wondering, is there anyone with a milder injury perhaps in the thoracic cord?

if yes, do you have twitches of the muscles below the injury level? and do the muscles become painful sometimes? I have almost 100% feeling below injury level, but I have twitches and painful muscles in my buttocks, and sometimes it feels like my womb is going to fall out! Also, does you tingling feeling come and go? mine gets worse when I sit and when I sleep. I don't get why though. I have an arachnoid cyst T4-T10, they fenestrated it though, so it shouldn't be compressing my spinal cord anymore, but the symptoms are progressing nonetheless! I had an MRI on Friday and waiting for results.

Cheers!

Hi Jade, we've been "talking" on your New Injuries thread, but this is a separate question. Non-traumatic SCI isn't necessarily milder than accident-related SCI, because in both cases the cord has been compromised. Lesions to the cervical and thoracic cord can result in devastating symptoms below the level of injury, irrespective of cause. Most of my lesions are in the cervical cord, and my worst symptoms are in my extremities (partial paralysis of left arm and leg, diminished function of right arm and leg).
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Hi Bonnette,

yes I didn't mean that non traumatic injuries are milder than traumatic ones, the reason why I posted in this section is that I have a non traumatic injury which happens to be a milder one compared to what I suspect most people on this site have, being that I can walk and I'm not incontinent etc. I think the confusion arose from the fact I posted in this section of the forum, so apologies for that.

No need to apologize, there are tons of crossover issues between traumatic and non-traumatic SCI. They often end up in the same place, that's all.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

I know right? It's super depressing sometimes how one way or another you end up having problems. It must not be easy to have problems in the arms as well! I really hope a fast advancement in technology will speed up the process of finding a cure. I'm. I'm not sure whether they already use computer simulations to see how different drugs could affect nerve recovery, but it would be super awesome if they could use the increment in computational power to do that speed things up a bit!

For me, the issues I have from the injury are different from the issues arising from the tethering/cysts. There’s a set of sensory and functional changes that are different from my baseline and seem linked to pressure/tension on the cord.

Ah I see! So did these cyst develop after the initial injury? How long after if you don't mind me asking? How long after? And what sensory changes have you had? Thanks!

I hope you feel good soon

Quote Originally Posted by Hifa View Post
    I hope you feel good soon
    Thanks, you too!

"Twitching" can be fasiculation of the muscles (which can occur in lower motor neuron injury) or spasticity and spasms (in upper motor neuron injury). Common for those with spinal cord injury or disease.

Pain, including visceral pain, may occur due to neuropathic pain caused by the cord damage. The uterus is innervated from T10, so that would be consistent with your cyst levels. Talk to your physician about medications used for chronic neuropathic pain, such as Neurontin (gabapentin) or Lyrica (pre-gablin).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.