Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My first flight post-injury

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Awesome post KLD, I greatly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
    I am going on my first trip after my injury. I am flying to Hawaii and am going to spend a week over there. Can anyone give me advice, recommendations, and or post links to helpful threads on this forum.
    Thank you
    You can cut 90% of that out by simply asking for a ramp supervisor when you get to the gate and check in.

This is going to be the one person who oversees your chair is loaded right.

They will come down to you and you can relay to them what is going to work best for you. If you know your seat location some airlines load you in the front seats and may not need aisle chair.

If its not a totally booked flight the can also move you to seats that might work better.

If you need the help from your family make sure they keep you together Delta sometimes splits you up even with family.

They ramp supervisor also can make arrangements with other team members if you are additional needing help.

Once you talk to them they can arrange with the arriving airport on special needs and the gate agent will ask you if you want to get your chair at baggage or have them bring it to the plane in Hi.

If you have a roho style seat bottom let the air out and open the value then adjust it once you land.

Plan on at least 6 hours of fly time...

Biggest suggestions I would offer for 1st timers because we fly monthy is don't over think the 1st trip and relax and enjoy!!

Glad I came across this as I am considering traveling by myself from NY to meet some friends in Vegas. The last time I flew was in 2001, but was with family.

I am hoping to piggyback a few questions on this thread:

1. If in need of a lift from airport personnel, is there a stated weight limit? Unfortunately I have put on a few pounds over the years and am weighing in at 240.
    2. Are there airlines that are more reputable in handling SCI travelers, and ones to stay away from?
    3. What has been people's experience getting accessible cab rides in major cities in the US these day? Is this likely a possibility to get from the airport to the hotel without having to transfer?

Thanks!
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrrronnn View Post
    1. If in need of a lift from airport personnel, is there a stated weight limit? Unfortunately I have put on a few pounds over the years and am weighing in at 240.
    Not in the USA. You should tell them you will require at least two "lifters".

2. Are there airlines that are more reputable in handling SCI travelers, and ones to stay away from?
    We have had good experiences with Alaska, Southwest, and Delta. Not so good on United and American.

3. What has been people's experience getting accessible cab rides in major cities in the US these day? Is this likely a possibility to get from the airport to the hotel without having to transfer?
    Depends on the city. Where are you thinking about going? Supershuttle has lift equipped vans in most of the airports they service, and are cheaper than a cab.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Glad I came across this as I am considering traveling by myself from NY to meet some friends in Vegas. The last time I flew was in 2001, but was with family.

Thanks!
    You mention you are meeting friends in Las Vegas. Las Vegas has a fair number of wheelchair accessible taxis and often they are available upon arrival at the taxi rank. If a cab has to be ordered, waiting time is usually short.

Here are a few taxi company references:

Yellow Checker Star Taxi Cab
    (702) 873-2000 ? 24-hour dispatch

Lucky Cab
    (702) 477-7555 ? 24-hour dispatch

Desert Cab
    (702) 386-9102 ? 24-hour dispatch

There are several threads on this forum about traveling to Las Vegas. Just use the search box toward the top/right on this page.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Not in the USA. You should tell them you will require at least two "lifters".

We have had good experiences with Alaska, Southwest, and Delta. Not so good on United and American.

Depends on the city. Where are you thinking about going? Supershuttle has lift equipped vans in most of the airports they service, and are cheaper than a cab.

(KLD)
    I recently joined Alaska Airlines Miles Club, and signed up for their credit card. They have a diverse number of airline partners one can use miles with. However, I just recently attempted to book a flight from PHL to SEA with Alaska, and when doing so, the website stated chairs cannot exceed height of 33". My armrests on my F3 alone sit at that height. While I can recline my chair to get close to that height, it would still require I adjust the armrests. I'd rather not deal with the hassle when other options exist, so I ended up cancelling within the 24 hr period. Unfortunately I had to revoke my companion pass when doing so, which doesn't make much sense.

Thanks!

We fly only Southwest and out of LGA they have great service to Las Vegas.

Give yourself some extra time and when you check in at the gate you would tell the gate agent and ramp supervisor your needs.

Also let them know you will need help transferring and let them know your weight. Sometimes we forget in our community that with the airlines they are still delivering customer service and are there to help.

I would look at a flight with a hour 1/2 lay over so you can get off get in your chair and stretch and use the restroom and eat or get something to eat on the 2nd half of the flight.

In Las Vegas you dont call cabs when you land and get your bags go to the side that shows cabs signs are above you the other side will say shuttle buses.

when you get outside you see the Meto police directing traffic and the cab line. Just tell the officer you need a WC cab and they will get you one its about a 5 to 10 min wait.

To strip hotels its about a $20 ride make sure they take you direct vs freeway adding $10+ more to the ride.

At each hotel you can have bell man or valets call you a cab, Vegas also has the RTC Deuce city bus that runs 24 hours a day and the monorail but it leaves you in the back of the hotels vs the fronts.

Vegas is one of the best cities for wc fun!
    Last edited by RollPositive; 04-25-2018 at 03:12 PM.