Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My first flight post-injury

SCI-Nurse. My husband is going on a trip with our card club of 10 other people and I. This is his first flight post surgery/post not able to walk. All of this is with Princess Cruiselines. We are flying Delta. We fly to Minneapolis and switch planes. Then fly to Fairbanks, Alaska. Coming home, we are flying with American and have to switch planes again in Dallas and then home to Omaha, NE.

Our group is also taking a bus to a hotel and a train to Denali Wilderness Lodge.

My husband will be sitting in his wheelchair on our cruise ship. Should we just use our "Breezy" wheelchair or should I look into a transport wheelchair. I am assuming our "Breezy" would be much more comfortable than a transport wheelchair even though
    they are not as heavy.

So much to think about. I already planned on packing one large suitcase with chucks, wipes, gloves, briefs, bandages, etc.

I bought a bag to carry our transfer board. I purchased a bedrail that breaks down.

Any ideas and help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

What chair does he use on a regular basis? A "Breezy"?? He should take the chair he is used to using. Is he only wheelchair mobile, or does he also stand/walk? I never recommend a transport chair. He would be unable to move himself in a transport chair, even to turn the chair around to look in a different direction. Also, transport chairs are notoriously difficult to get up over curbs or even thresholds around the ship, and they are murder on cobblestones or unpaved surfaces ashore.

Is he able to walk up the steps of a bus?

Do you have a wheelchair accessible cabin? Hotel? What are your plans for showers/bathing?

Do you really need a bed rail? We never used one. I would park my mother's wheelchair right next to the bed so she could use it from assistance in turns and to prevent her leg from falling off the side of the bed in heavy seas.

Definitely should gate check his wheelchair and when changing planes, have the chair brought up to the plane door, then use that to get to the next flight. The airlines can arrange for a "pusher" if needed.

You can check your bag with the medical supplies at no extra cost, but frankly, I would take that and the slide board on as part of your carry-on luggage. If you limit what is inside the bag to only those items, it does not count against your carry-on limit. It would be a disaster if those bags got lost.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.