Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Masters tournament

Masters tournament

As a former avid golfer and watcher, watching the Masters (golf tournament) in person has always been high on my list. Unfortunately there is limited info on wheelchair access. Anyone with knowledge of the access there? I'd likely be interested in attending a practice round or 2, because I'd prefer to be able to take pictures of the course.

I've been a couple times but all pre-injury. As long as it's not wet the grass is basically like rolling over carpet. I think most of the folks in chairs and/or scooters just pick a hole and stay there for the majority. Following a specific golfer in a manual chair would be a hella workout. Last time I was there I got in early enough to watch Player, Nicklaus, and Arnie tee off at the first hole to open the tournament. It is an amazing experience.

I did it this year. I attended the Monday practice round and it was incredible. I was a little nervous about it as there isn't much info available and the only advice they gave me was to use whichever chair I'm more comfortable in. I used my Permobil and was surprised by how easy it was to get around. Using a manual chair would be practically impossible for you or somebody pushing you, unless you pick a hole and stay there. There are virtually no flat areas on the course, except for some of the wheelchair viewing areas which are roped off and have great views. There aren't many of these, however. The hills are steep and uneven so I used my chest strap frequently or had my brother put a hand on my shoulder to be safe. There were a few wet areas that were difficult to get up but the volunteers and other patrons were very helpful the few times I got stuck. There are some cart paths, but the grass and even the pine needles were generally smooth and navigable. I was able to see all 18 holes with little difficulty. Parking, bathrooms, concessions, and the merchandise areas were accessible. They do allow bags with medical equipment but they search it upon entry. Altogether, it was an amazing experience and nothing would prevent me from doing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by grizz08 View Post
    I did it this year. I attended the Monday practice round and it was incredible. I was a little nervous about it as there isn't much info available and the only advice they gave me was to use whichever chair I'm more comfortable in. I used my Permobil and was surprised by how easy it was to get around. Using a manual chair would be practically impossible for you or somebody pushing you, unless you pick a hole and stay there. There are virtually no flat areas on the course, except for some of the wheelchair viewing areas which are roped off and have great views. There aren't many of these, however. The hills are steep and uneven so I used my chest strap frequently or had my brother put a hand on my shoulder to be safe. There were a few wet areas that were difficult to get up but the volunteers and other patrons were very helpful the few times I got stuck. There are some cart paths, but the grass and even the pine needles were generally smooth and navigable. I was able to see all 18 holes with little difficulty. Parking, bathrooms, concessions, and the merchandise areas were accessible. They do allow bags with medical equipment but they search it upon entry. Altogether, it was an amazing experience and nothing would prevent me from doing it again.
    Thanks so much! This definitely gave me confidence that it is possible. I’d probably be more interested in a practice round because I’d like to take pictures of the course (particularly the 12th and 13th). I would be using my Permobil as well. So getting around on the grass is relatively smooth, not the typical spasm-causing, bumpy grass surfaces I’m used to?

If I may ask, where did you purchase your tickets? I’ve entered the lottery the past 8+ years, with no luck.

Was parking easy to find? Close?

Did you stay locally? We’d either drive down from Pennsylvania, or fly into Atlanta.

Do you remember where some of the wheelchair sections were?
    Last edited by landrover; 06-12-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Yes, the grass is perfectly smooth. The fairways are almost like concrete and even the rough has no hidden holes or bumps that I encountered. 12 and 13 are incredible in person. I probably have 50 pictures of them. Invest in a good camera. The one wheelchair section I remember is actually behind the 12th tee. You can see the 13th tee pretty well from there too. If I had to pick a spot and stay there, that would be it.

We were very lucky to get the tickets through a friend of my dad. I too have entered the lottery for many years with no luck.

Parking was easy and free. It's all on the course's property and there are many people directing traffic. We got there later than most (around 10am) so we parked pretty far away but it wasn't an issue.

We flew into Atlanta from Detroit and drove about 2.5 hours to Augusta. We stayed at a brand new Hyatt that was great as far as accessibility. I would recommend getting there on Saturday for the practice rounds. Since we got there before Master's week our rooms were about $200/night. Had we arrived on Sunday they would have been $1000/night. The hotel was about 8 miles from the course and traffic wasn't bad.

I hope you have luck in the lottery. If that doesn't pan out, try StubHub or something. It's definitely worth it!

Thanks!! Probably not this coming year, but it is definitely on my list. Thanks for sharing your positive experiences. Was it the Hyatt Place Augusta that you stayed? Did you happen to notice if the bed was a platform style bed?

Did you attend just the Monday practice round then? Truthfully, I'm not so much interested in seeing the players, as I am of seeing and photographing the course. I think I read where it ends around 6 pm. Does that sound about right? I've always preferred pictures closest to sunrise/sunset. Are they pretty strict about where you can take pictures from?

Curious what merchandise you came away with?!

Yes, it was the Hyatt Place. I don't remember the bed specifically, but there were no problems with the height for transferring. It had the best hotel roll-in shower I've ever used though.

We just did Monday. We also only really wanted to see the course and not the players. We were lucky though when one of the security guys told us that Tiger had teed off so we rushed back to the 2nd hole to see him. I think the hours were 8a-6p. There were no restrictions on where we could take pictures. There was a long line to get your picture taken by a professional in front of the club house that we didn't bother with.

I spent a ton on merchandise. I got a pullover, a hat, 2 lithographs, a flag, and a coffee mug. Everyone with me got a bunch too. The merchandise area was the most well-organized chaos I've ever seen. There were hundreds of people shopping but they're so efficient that there was no wait to check out. Wheelchair users also get to skip the line to get in. A nice bonus.
    Chuck Norris doesn't go hunting because the term hunting implies a chance of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.

That's great. Definitely in my plans for 2020!

Just out of curiosity I looked up hotel rates for the Hyatt Place for the upcoming Masters. I initially put in Sunday through Tuesday, at which it said unavailable. I added an extra day (leaving Wednesday), and the average per night was $1000+.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Just out of curiosity I looked up hotel rates for the Hyatt Place for the upcoming Masters. I initially put in Sunday through Tuesday, at which it said unavailable. I added an extra day (leaving Wednesday), and the average per night was $1000+.
    I believe it. This is their big event of the year. We stayed at the Gale for 3 nights in April for around $600. In February for SOBE for 3 nights it was $1500. We out smarted them for next year. They were running a 35% off special so we checked the dates for next years SOBE and we were able to get 4 nights for $1200. I couldn't book the room fast enough.