Thread: Supplements for bone growth?

Supplements for bone growth?

My left arm/humerus was broken 9 weeks ago (distal spiral fracture of the lower third to be exact). It did not require surgery thankfully, and I have been in a sarmiento brace since. I was given a minimum 10 week healing time (likely longer due to osteoporosis). My last follow-up on Tuesday showed good callus formation, to the point I have been given the go-ahead to begin therapy, and can weight bear (though I really don't anyway). I am also no longer in a sling. My ortho said he'd like to see more growth before removing the brace, and I am scheduled to see him in 6 weeks. So now to my question. Several years ago when I had a sore, I took arginine and zinc. Though I can't scientifically prove it, I felt the sore healed more quickly. I decided to do an internet search yesterday on each and their effect on bone growth, and both appeared to have positive results. Can anyone give more insight on this?

Just make sure your calcium intake is good. That is what your bones need.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Your bones need calcium and Vitamin D to heal. I would ask your physician if he/she thinks this could help. Given that you are not weight bearing on this limb, I am not sure that they alone will speed up the process. However, you never know.
    I would not start these supplements without talking to your physician and getting the amount that they think would be beneficial. Too much, and it can cause problems, too little and it is ineffective.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.