Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self cathing in bed

Self cathing in bed

Not sure if this is the right forum but anyway.....I am a T4 and have been self cathing since my accident in 03.
    Anyway when I cath in bed (into a plastic bag) I then sort of toss the used cath into a bedside drawer. Naturally a few drips get dripped here and there and the whole area is taking on a bit of a pissy smell.
    If anyone can give me some examples (in detail) of their bed cathing set up it would be appreciated.
    Also any urine smell remedeys would be appreciated too.
    Thanks.

Maybe I'm not understanding your whole setup, but why wouldn't you just put a little garbage can near the bed where you can dispose of the cath with less "pissyness"?

I guess because I recycle them...and there is already one bin beside the bed for urine filled bags. I guess I could use two bins. I'm just interested to hear how other people manage this whole setup.

Blog Entries
    Try some enzyme activated pet pee cleaner. That stuff does a good job on pet pee smells. Aside from that, maybe have a ziplock bag you can put the used catheter into? FWIW, I didn't think cathing in bed allowed for complete drainage, and was strongly discouraged.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Try some enzyme activated pet pee cleaner. That stuff does a good job on pet pee smells. Aside from that, maybe have a ziplock bag you can put the used catheter into? FWIW, I didn't think cathing in bed allowed for complete drainage, and was strongly discouraged.
    I think this has more to do with body position than "bed" specifically. If you have a bed that can bring your torso to a seated position then you still get the compression forces on the bladder and of course you can always palpate.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

My Dad does all of his caths in bed/sitting on the side of the bed. He has a bedside table that he keeps there, with all of his supplies for cathing and other things that he likes keeping in arm's reach. He caths into a urinal, which he leaves on the bedside table until he (or family member) takes it to the bathroom to dump into the toilet and rinse. He does not reuse catheters, which is what most in the US do these days.

He uses this type of bedside table, similar to what you see in the hospital.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Drive-Med...hrome/15935845

The Carex urinals are the nicest he has tried, but you can find cheaper.

You could keep a roll of paper towels by your bedside, and just wrap the used catheter in a paper towel before putting in the drawer for the drips, or keep a chux lining the drawer and change it regularly. But that uses "supplies".

Or you could use a type of catheter where the packaging can be "stuck" to a wall/surface while you are cathing (see the Cure catheters) and when done cathing, just put the catheter back in the packaging and leave it hanging there until you bring it to the bathroom for washing. That seems to be the easiest.

Blog Entries
    I keep my cath in the original sleeve, which I shorten just enough to leave the funnel sticking out.
    When I am done emptying it, I spray a bit of Microcyn into the funnel - enough to flush the cath out. I use an antiseptic BZK wipe to handle the cath as I am inserting it, and after spraying the cath, I spray a bit onto the wipe and wipe down the cath and put it back in the sleeve. Haven't had a UTI in years, though I am colonized.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I think this has more to do with body position than "bed" specifically. If you have a bed that can bring your torso to a seated position then you still get the compression forces on the bladder and of course you can always palpate.
    Yeah, probably so. Palpating still leaves me with 25ccs, or so, unless I'm vertical, according my ultra sound results. We're all probably a little different in this regard.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Yeah, probably so. Palpating still leaves me with 25ccs, or so, unless I'm vertical, according my ultra sound results. We're all probably a little different in this regard.
    Did you get that data in hospital or do you have a UT machine?
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

I don't re-use caths, but here's my routine:

I use my chair as another table. Before I get in bed, I put a little trashcan holding a box of straight caths, near the bed, put a urinal on the true bedside table so everything is in reach when I xfer. I also have a little wicker basket/tray that holds gloves and lube and other crap on the table.

I get in bed, position the chair with footrest against the bed, move the trashcan to back of chair seat, move the wicker tray in front of it, and move the urinal next to tray, all on my chair seat. Then I move the box of caths to the footrest of chair. Now everything is in reach when laying down.

I just cath as usual, peeing into the urinal, put the cath back in pkg, fold it over in 3's like folding a letter, then pull the glove off over the cath making a nice little pkg I toss into the trashcan.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"