Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: SVM Lift Repair Needed Pittsburgh, PA - OVR WILL NOT PAY FOR REPAIR!!!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    199

    SVM Lift Repair Needed Pittsburgh, PA - OVR WILL NOT PAY FOR REPAIR!!!

    My husband has a 2013 Chevy Silverado pick-up that was modified with the what was known as the GoShichi (now SVM) system. The Pennsylvania Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR) was gracious enough to pay for the conversion itself; he purchased the truck out of pocket and is still paying off the loan.

    Since 2013, the up/down and in/out actuators have been replaced three times each. The first two times were covered under warranty through Mobility Works in Monroeville, Pennsylvania. Tuesday, my husband tried to get out of his truck and the lift stopped, mid-way, leaving him virtually hanging there until a couple of co-workers were able to manually crank the lift down and get him out. In the process, the pin between the motor and the actuator sheered off because the actuator itself froze up. He immediately contacted both Mobility Works and OVR to get this repaired.

    OVR informed him that "because your case is closed" we cannot pay for this repair. But - in the future if you need something for your truck such as a transmission or "major issue", or a new vehicle (for which he will not be eligible until 2023) he is to give them a call and they will reopen the case.

    We were shocked to say the least! The cost through Mobility Works for this repair is $1700. We appealed to the OVR Headquarters in Harrisburg, only to be told that they would not pay for any repairs to the truck and that was it.

    Two questions - One, what exactly is a "major repair" if not being able to get INTO your truck to DRIVE your truck isn't major? Second, is there any other dealer besides Mobility Works who can repair this type of issue? It seems that FOUR TIMES in FIVE YEARS is a little excessive for the same part to need to be replaced over and over!

    We don't see any other option except to find the money somewhere, get the repair made and basically hold our breath that this doesn't happen again - or too often - before it's time to get a new vehicle.

    Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, similar experiences?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Suspended Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    9,722
    I think I might have an idea how those things are built going from memory seeing one function at a show, and I really wonder what sort of 12V linear actuator would ring up a $1700 charge. Is it possible to see what data plate is on the offending actuators and just source a replacement yourself and have it put on by someone that can operate a wrench? Some ideas on actuator costs:

    https://www.mcmaster.com/#linear-actuators/=1chnot7

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,993
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I think I might have an idea how those things are built going from memory seeing one function at a show, and I really wonder what sort of 12V linear actuator would ring up a $1700 charge. Is it possible to see what data plate is on the offending actuators and just source a replacement yourself and have it put on by someone that can operate a wrench? Some ideas on actuator costs:

    https://www.mcmaster.com/#linear-actuators/=1chnot7
    I have been told that the linear actuators are a stock item from a pop-up camper. I don’t know which brand.

  4. #4
    Agreed, try taking it to a shop that repairs truck lift gates or snowplows. Anytime the word disability is injected into something get ready to have your wallet vacuumed.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Anytime the word disability is injected into something get ready to have your wallet vacuumed.
    Ah yes! The ole' cripple markup. I love it!

    To the OP; I don't think the VOC REHAB place would be the ones to cover the repair job cost. Have bitched to Mobility Works? That's where you should be raising (lol) a ruckus.

    Keep su posted,
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I think I might have an idea how those things are built going from memory seeing one function at a show, and I really wonder what sort of 12V linear actuator would ring up a $1700 charge. Is it possible to see what data plate is on the offending actuators and just source a replacement yourself and have it put on by someone that can operate a wrench? Some ideas on actuator costs:

    https://www.mcmaster.com/#linear-actuators/=1chnot7

    Thanks for your info. My problem is these are too short and light for my truck. It needs to run out 28" and hols at least 750 lbs. Any other thoughts?

  7. #7
    Suspended Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    9,722
    I priced out one with 30" and 900lb...$200

    https://www.actuatorzone.com/electric-track-actuator

    I think the important thing is see what is on there now to replace it with something that fits right in

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I priced out one with 30" and 900lb...$200

    https://www.actuatorzone.com/electric-track-actuator

    I think the important thing is see what is on there now to replace it with something that fits right in

    Thank you for the information - all of it. We need to get the exact numbers off of the current one to be sure we get the correct one. Unfortunately I think this time we're stuck paying the $1700 to get back into life, but since it's 5 years at least before he is eligible for a new vehicle, we are going to get all of our information together NOW because based on past experience this WILL happen again, maybe more than once. Danny said it takes them about 45 minutes to install the new actuators, so it makes me wonder if they're charging $1200 for labor? Even if they double the cost of the actual part, that is ridiculous! Oh, and they supposedly had it "overnighted" last Wednesday. They told him Friday to come Monday. So much for overnight delivery . . .

    The longer I am immersed in this whole situation, the more and more disappointed I become in not only government agencies, but the service companies that "supposedly" are there to help those with disabilities. It's a travesty.

    I'll let everyone know what the outcome is, the numbers we come up with and what we find. I think we are going to also look for a place that repairs trucklifts in hopes they would be able to install the part if we cannot.

    As always, ALL opinions, suggestions and advice is most welcome!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,993
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickib View Post
    Thank you for the information - all of it. We need to get the exact numbers off of the current one to be sure we get the correct one. Unfortunately I think this time we're stuck paying the $1700 to get back into life, but since it's 5 years at least before he is eligible for a new vehicle, we are going to get all of our information together NOW because based on past experience this WILL happen again, maybe more than once. Danny said it takes them about 45 minutes to install the new actuators, so it makes me wonder if they're charging $1200 for labor? Even if they double the cost of the actual part, that is ridiculous! Oh, and they supposedly had it "overnighted" last Wednesday. They told him Friday to come Monday. So much for overnight delivery . . .

    The longer I am immersed in this whole situation, the more and more disappointed I become in not only government agencies, but the service companies that "supposedly" are there to help those with disabilities. It's a travesty.

    I'll let everyone know what the outcome is, the numbers we come up with and what we find. I think we are going to also look for a place that repairs trucklifts in hopes they would be able to install the part if we cannot.

    As always, ALL opinions, suggestions and advice is most welcome!
    The man who started and designed the Goschchi/SVM now owns/Sells the ATC truck adaptation. He probably knows the part number if he’s willing to help.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickib View Post
    Thank you for the information - all of it. We need to get the exact numbers off of the current one to be sure we get the correct one. Unfortunately I think this time we're stuck paying the $1700 to get back into life, but since it's 5 years at least before he is eligible for a new vehicle, we are going to get all of our information together NOW because based on past experience this WILL happen again, maybe more than once. Danny said it takes them about 45 minutes to install the new actuators, so it makes me wonder if they're charging $1200 for labor? Even if they double the cost of the actual part, that is ridiculous! Oh, and they supposedly had it "overnighted" last Wednesday. They told him Friday to come Monday. So much for overnight delivery . . .

    The longer I am immersed in this whole situation, the more and more disappointed I become in not only government agencies, but the service companies that "supposedly" are there to help those with disabilities. It's a travesty.

    I'll let everyone know what the outcome is, the numbers we come up with and what we find. I think we are going to also look for a place that repairs trucklifts in hopes they would be able to install the part if we cannot.

    As always, ALL opinions, suggestions and advice is most welcome!
    Tell them to give you the old actuator, you're etntitled to it, and by law they can't refuse you.

Similar Threads

  1. PC repair
    By Jimi5 in forum Computers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 04:10 AM
  2. lift repair help
    By jb in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2003, 11:27 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2003, 06:20 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-22-2002, 09:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •