Thread: How much headroom do you need to drive from a chair.

How much headroom do you need to drive from a chair.

I am about to enter the world of driving from a power chair.i have checked on compatibility of size of chair to vehicle and setup I am considering is M3 perm with chevy silverado 1500 . I will sit at 53 1/2 "vehicle entry is 54 and from drivers position 56" So i will have about 2 1/2 " of headroom. My main concern is sightline and i will sit up about 1 1/2 " higher than i do in my current vehicle.

Question. What is a comfortable sight line. When i have tried to duplicate the 1 1/2 less it seems awkward to drive from that high. Those that drive from chairs how much headroom do you have and how is your sight line?Was it awkward at first and then you adjusted like so many other things we do ?

Pete

Don't drive, but I would imagine being able to safely see traffic lights is key.

An additional concern is your head hitting the roof of the vehicle when going over bumps. A good way to get another SCI! A lowered floor in the van, or a raised roof may be needed for someone who is tall to safely drive from their wheelchair.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

How do you prevent whiplash when driving from your wheelchair? Another SCI waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    An additional concern is your head hitting the roof of the vehicle when going over bumps. A good way to get another SCI! A lowered floor in the van, or a raised roof may be needed for someone who is tall to safely drive from their wheelchair.

(KLD)
    Be careful of sunroofs! I'm put together weird my upper body is elongated and my legs are very short, at one point I was 6'1" and last time measured they said I was 5'8". Just sitting in some vans OK, but with some the sunroof has a frame around it or use to. I knock top of my head on brother's minivan, even knocked hunk of scalp when hit big pothole on frame around sunroof.

You guys are scaring me. I am not concerned about hitting head on roof (I know sunroofs are out) as I will have 2 1/2 ' clearance but sight lines worry me. never thought about whiplash That's a concern. How do people address that.

Again, I do not drive. I sit in my F3 in the passenger front seat. I do not use a headrest, but when I was being evaluated for a new van, the evaluator refused to do so unless I had a headrest for the reason already described. Makes sense. I still don't use one, but I imagine in a rear-impact accident, the outcome would not be good.

I've been rear ended once, at time I transfered to drive. I don't recall the doctors calling it whiplash but remember they said I had pinched nerve in neck and a concussion from impact.