Thread: Replacing Hinges on Sleep Number Bed Series 7000

Replacing Hinges on Sleep Number Bed Series 7000

Ten years ago, we bought the Sleep Number Split King size Bed Series 7000. The articulated sections of the bed, head raise and lower /feet raise and lower have hard plastic hinges that measure 4-1/4 inches by 4 inches. They are about 1/4 inch thick, except at the center flex point. A 1/2 inch wide section in the center of the hinge is about 1/8 inch thick. After ten years of raising and lowering the head of the bed, those hinges broke into two pieces and needed to be replaced.

The beds are in great condition, and last year we replaced the pillow top sections that sit on top of the air bladders. It seemed premature to replace the beds, when only the hinges were an issue. Replacement plastic hinges are available, but it didn't make sense to replace the hinges with the same plastic hinges that failed. I am a little bit of a hoarder, so when we replaced some interior doors a few years ago, I had NL remove the the brass hinges from the doors and have had them in a box in the garage. We needed 4 hinges, two for each twin bed (split king).

I finally prevailed upon my lovely lady to replace the plastic hinges with the brass ones. I had worked out the details in my head, so we were ready to tackle the task. NL deflated the air bladders and removed them from the top section of the bed. Then she removed the whole top section from the base by unscrewing two large bolts. Then the section of the bed that holds the bladders could be removed, so only the platform base was left. The pictures below take the process from there.

The beds are working quite well. The head of the beds now raise to the normal upright position and the top and middle plywood panels don't rub together when the head of the bed is raised. NL did have to turn the beds on their sides to find the bolts that held the broken plastic hinges in place. That entailed cutting small holes in the black cover fabric on the bottom of the bed to expose the heads of the bolts, but she was able to accomplish this with minimal damage to that fabric covering and retrieve the two halves of each of the hinges.

With heartfelt thanks to NL!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-18-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Nice job! I've got the same type of bed, but different manufacturer. Seeing what happened to yours, will make me take a look to see how mine is set up so I can note the fix, just in case. Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Moongazr View Post
    Nice job! I've got the same type of bed, but different manufacturer. Seeing what happened to yours, will make me take a look to see how mine is set up so I can note the fix, just in case. Thanks for posting
    Hope this helps anyone with an older Sleep Number bed

Great work!

You will know when this happens, without doubt. The plastic hinges start to make cracking sounds over several weeks, then one day there will be a very loud crack and the two pieces of plywood will shift and hit each other. The head of the bed will still raise, but not as high upright as it used to.