Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Para in a power chair?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Most comments about Quantum would be pejorative.

You'll get lots of positive comments about Permobil M3 (mid wheel drive) and F3 (front wheel drive).

Invacare is in and out of trouble and design remediation with the FDA (seems like for years and years) so lots of people avoid those bases.

There are a few other power wheelchair manufacturers around, but they don't generally represent a strong presence in the marketplace.

All that said, I am talking generally about the United States and various regions in the U.S. will have a stronger representation and preference for one or two manufacturers over others.

Pride and the Quantum chairs are the biggest crap chairs around...cheap parts, lots of plastic, motors burn out easy the list goes on and on.

I came from Pride Blast 850, 2 Pride 6000's Pride 6000z, Pride Edge 1.0 all but the Blast 15+ years ago have major fails.

Pride also took a bad turn at the customers expense and started using NF 22 size batteries to cut cost and this gave the customer a terrible experience with only 5-7 total miles per charge.

But insisted these batteries provided enough miles per charge customers even though customer had been complaining!

The complaining got so bad Pride shut down both customer focused websites leaving customer nowhere to voice concerns!

http://ownersclub.pridemobility.com

http://www.wheelchairjunkie.com this now routes you to a Pride employees personal blog page and is one sides you cant voice concerns or product questions any more.

As you can see from postings above, "Lone Beagle," as I mentioned...opinions abound...you have to understand the technology for yourself, test drive as many configurations of power chairs as you can, and make up your mind about what chair is right for you, especially considering that you are not the typical Group 3 or 4 power wheelchair user.

That said, some chair manufacturers are better than others. But then again...that research is up to you. I've read on these pages that some people are very happy with their Quantum chairs, and as expressed above...some are not.

As a Group 3 wheelchair user, I was not impressed by the Quantum...but ... that is what it is ... opinion.

Similarly...I'm not impressed by or a big fan of Front Wheel Drive power chairs for my circumstance. But, you will find people who will try to cram their preference down your throat. It comes down to each his own choice, in his own circumstances.
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-23-2018 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    As you can see from postings above, "Lone Beagle," as I mentioned...opinions abound...you have to understand the technology for yourself, test drive as many configurations of power chairs as you can, and make up your mind about what chair is right for you, especially considering that you are not the typical Group 3 or 4 power wheelchair user.

That said, some chair manufacturers are better than others. But then again...that research is up to you. I've read on these pages that some people are very happy with their Quantum chairs, and as expressed above...some are not.

As a Group 3 wheelchair user, I was not impressed by the Quantum...but ... that is what it is ... opinion.

Similarly...I'm not impressed by or a big fan of Front Wheel Drive power chairs for my circumstance. But, you will find people who will try to cram their preference down your throat. It comes down to each his own choice, in his own circumstances.
    Interesting...I dont see anyone "cramming" I see a lot of people giving great input thats what make forums useful.

But I think you mistake passion for "cramming" I like you had an order for a m300, I had a used m300 that I bought do to the Pride Edge leaving my stranded on vacation in Manhattan.

Soon as I got back to Phx I bought used m300 with 5 miles on it and used and liked if for a year.

So I funded a new one that was smaller and fit me better. 1/2 way in to the order I had a nagging feeling if I didnt try an F3 or F5 I would always wonder.

All the so called experts said I would hate it, ATP and OT and PT...Permobil brought one to my house and I took off on a 10 mile roll to the mall.

I must have felt falling forward feeling a dozen times but knew it was in my head and not the chair.

When I got home I canceled the m300 and put in for a Permobil F3 and have been working endlessly with others on front wheel drive misconceptions and with Permobil and NuMotion.

If you call that cramming...guilty as charged but to get emails and text from those I help get chairs funded makes it so worth the manufacture and industry frustrations advocating for others.

The smoothness of a front wheel drive and not having to worry about getting stuck like one can in a mid wheel drive gives added security and added independence.

But if front wheel drive is not comfortable by all means the M3 and M5 are great alternatives!

I bought two used quantums because they're cheap. I have nothing else to compare to. I use my manual still at home, but the power outside. Have a car, can't afford a van.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    62 year old and in manual chair for 40 years. right should wore out so went to power chair (permobile f3) should of done it a few years before and might of saved my shoulder some. Best thing i ever did, i have more energy and look forward to going out, where before between pain and lack of energy i would just rather stay home. Had to go to a van but that has worked well also. Holler if you have questions. Im still going to PT therapist to get my shoulder pain under control. Good luck.

The most frustrating thing is not being able to fix it myself. The manual chair is like a bicycle and therefore, easy to fix. The power chair? I can't even tip it over to change a tire it's so heavy. Filling the tires with air is challenging as well.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    The most frustrating thing is not being able to fix it myself. The manual chair is like a bicycle and therefore, easy to fix. The power chair? I can't even tip it over to change a tire it's so heavy. Filling the tires with air is challenging as well.
    Filling tires with air? My Permobil m300 does not require filling the tires with air.

Prefer air for the horrendous uneven sidewalks after a particularly bad winter in Canada.

I switched to power chair 2 years ago. It was the best decision I ever made. Opened a whole new world to me. The downside transportation. I have the permobil vs.

I am already wishing I had done it earlier. Using my right had to turn a light switch on and off is painful.

off to the HealthSouth Clinic in Charlottesville next week.