Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Para in a power chair?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Para in a power chair?

After 61 years on the planet and 34 years in a chair my right shoulder has given it up. I have completely torn 3 of the 4 muscle groups that make up the rotator cuff and it has been deemed not repairable. I am fortunate enough to be able to get a PT/OT re-eval by therapists who actually know something about SCI and should get the appointment soon but I really don't see anyway around a power chair. Have any paras out there gone into a power chair after decades? comments on the experience?

Also what are good power chairs? Looking through google it seems like there are fewer choices than with manual chairs. What are people using that they like?

Thanks,
    John

Have you considered a power add-on system to your manual chair? Many people who have pushed a manual chair as long as you have had to transition to power mobility. Check out the Spinergy ZX-1.

Do you drive from your chair, or transfer to drive currently? Van? Car?

Keep in mind that most power chairs have a larger footprint than a manual chair, so that may need to be a consideration in your home depending on how accessible your home is.

Are you on Medicare? If so, you must have a RESNA certified therapist do an evaluation of your needs and write the letter of necessity for your provider to sign. Do you know if the therapists you work with have such certification?

You might also want to think about a lift for transfers (one you can use yourself) as transfers are no easier on your shoulders with a power chair than with a manual chair.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Have you considered a power add-on system to your manual chair? Many people who have pushed a manual chair as long as you have had to transition to power mobility. Check out the Spinergy ZX-1.
    Do you drive from your chair, or transfer to drive currently? Van? Car?

Keep in mind that most power chairs have a larger footprint than a manual chair, so that may need to be a consideration in your home depending on how accessible your home is.

Are you on Medicare? If so, you must have a RESNA certified therapist do an evaluation of your needs and write the letter of necessity for your provider to sign. Do you know if the therapists you work with have such certification?

You might also want to think about a lift for transfers (one you can use yourself) as transfers are no easier on your shoulders with a power chair than with a manual chair.

(KLD)
    Stay away from the zx1...my friend Pat invented it and Synergy bought the company and ran the product in to the ground!!

This is Pat and his daughter before they sold to Synergy

If you are already having pain its time to move over to a power chair vs a motor for a wheelchair. Check out Permobil F3 or m3 mid wheel...lot more comfort than a wheelchair with power.

You can fund them with seat elevation and tilt and recline no problem.
    Last edited by RollinPositive; 04-18-2018 at 02:45 PM.

I have one of the early spinergy ZX-1s (I think the serial number is 49). It is over 5 years old and I have dealt with Spinergy a couple times and they have been very helpful. It is still a good product and well supported by Spinergy.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Stay away from the zx1...my friend Pat invented it and Synergy bought the company and ran the product in to the ground!!

This is Pat and his daughter before they sold to Synergy

If you are already having pain its time to move over to a power chair vs a motor for a wheelchair. Check out Permobil F3 or m3 mid wheel...lot more comfort than a wheelchair with power.

You can fund them with seat elevation and tilt and recline no problem.

Thanks,

So far everything is still on the table. I have thought about power add-ons.

I drive a Mazda5 so that will probably have to change as well.

"Fortunately" I was hurt on the job so I can get just about anything the therapists order.

Thanks for the thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Beagle View Post
    Thanks,

So far everything is still on the table. I have thought about power add-ons.

I drive a Mazda5 so that will probably have to change as well.

"Fortunately" I was hurt on the job so I can get just about anything the therapists order.

Thanks for the thoughts
    In that case, if you're in the USA the likely "best" power chair (In my opinion) is the Permobil F5 VS because it has a built in stander function. It's a bit large though and, yes, you're looking at either a ramp van or someone to drive it onto a hitch lift after you get into the car.

There are better chairs, but the better chairs with standing are only available outside the US. Worth trying a few though. If you don't want standing there are relatively compact chairs out there and the Quickies are very nice (although their standing chair is not available in the US).
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Driving from your chair, with a van, would be better for shoulders...car transfers can be brutal, plus having to load your chair into a car. A power chair will generally require a van. Some power assist systems are heavy to load or impossible (like the Synergy above) into a car by yourself.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks for your input!

I am probably going to have to go back to a van. I had those while the kids were still home to be able to haul everything and everybody.

So what is the front-wheel, rear-wheel, mid-wheel drive business? What do people like? What about quantum?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Beagle View Post
    Thanks for your input!

I am probably going to have to go back to a van. I had those while the kids were still home to be able to haul everything and everybody.

So what is the front-wheel, rear-wheel, mid-wheel drive business? What do people like? What about quantum?
    actually i disagree about the zx-1. i have one and love it and Pat is still around to help. great guy.

i agree with kld on the overhead lift. we put a 4 way in our bedroom. goes from bed through master bath door to toilet and shower. been a game changer. im a quad and i use easily by myself with a "u-sling". i also switched to full size van 3 yrs ago, another game changer. minis are to small for us and our lifestyle. we have a hightop chevy explorer conv, likely due mercedes sprinter next.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

What about that weird OGO thing? And if you pick something: elect chair, add on, big dude to just push you, etc. Can you change if it doesn't work?