Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power sliding door works but needs a nudge

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Exactly, the Braun opener uses a GM window motor that can be had for next to nothing on eBay or the local auto parts store. I suspect Ricon is similar.
    Maybe, but I scoured Ebay for ricon sliding door parts and only came up with one for a mini van. I suspect Braun being more common it may be easier. It was extremely easy for my Grand Caravan slider which is essentially Chrysler factory.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

The dealer will shread your wallet, that's for sure. Does the lift have a RF remote control? If not you should be able to build one from an eBay 6 channel system that are really cheap but work fantastic.
    We're thinking alike. All I have to do is follow the wires from the control switch to find the contacts. Then I can short the contacts with a remote system. Easy fix. But that's a bandage solution. I would like to find the root cause. It may be as simple as replacing the motor and/or clutch. Trick is finding where to buy it. It's encouraging to know that standard window door opener motors may work.

As previously mentioned, more than likely it's the door rollers that need work, not the motor or related items. If the stock door assembly isn't functioning correctly, then the Ricon motor assembly isn't going to function the way it's supposed to. There's at least 4 rollers involved in these sliding doors, if just one is dragging then it can cause the door not to operate as it should. I've looked around before and am pretty sure the rollers are only able to be had through a Ford dealer. For as common as the E series van is not easy finding much info on the sliding door, or diagrams.

Found a pic of what you should try giving a good shot of cleaner/lube, if it's sticking then the door would need a nudge to open. When I get a chance I'll search for a diagram of the complete door assembly with all the rollers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Found a pic of what you should try giving a good shot of cleaner/lube, if it's sticking then the door would need a nudge to open. When I get a chance I'll search for a diagram of the complete door assembly with all the rollers.
    Makes sense. The first thing I thought was mechanical resistance of the door itself. My mechanic was thinking the door opener system needed realignment. But that didn't work. I'll go over there now and give a shot (pun intended).

By the way, based on my description of the problem over the phone, the mobility dealer said he thinks it's the motor and/or clutch. But he doesn't think the parts are made any more.

On my Braun openers there's no clutch, just a motor that drives a chain that operates the door, really kind of crude but it's been working trouble free for the 17 years I've had it. I've never seen the Ricon version.

The guy said it could be the motor or clutch. He never saw it. But it's just as well. He was already working on the up-sell over the phone and insulted me in the process by saying "What kind of a person wants to drive a used handicap van?" as if to say I am so helpless that I have to buy a new van with a warranty to be all safe and secure. What a condescending jerk.

Looking at the schematic, it's pretty basic. Relays power the motor, which drives the chain. No clutch. I was not able to get to it today. Shop was closed. I don't recall seeing the spring in the attached picture from the service manual. Hopefully it's missing and that is all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    ......"What kind of a person wants to drive a used handicap van?" ...
    Me, me, me, I'd love to put him out of business. Besides it sounds like you found the problem, that spring tensioner fits the description of the symptoms you described.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Me, me, me, I'd love to put him out of business. Besides it sounds like you found the problem, that spring tensioner fits the description of the symptoms you described.

Same here August, I'dlike to do what Nonoise said. Amazing how yu guys fighure ut stuff so easily. Ya'll ust be engineers or something.