Thread: Broken Wrist

Broken Wrist

I fell at the beginning of March. I didn't see some uneven sidewalk and went face first. My foot was really swollen and I hadn't noticed it being swollen before the fall. My wrist was a little sore but, not too bad. So they did X-rays of my foot and wrist. My foot was fine but they thought my wrist was broke. I've broken my wrist twice before on the other arm and it didn't hurt near as bad this time.

So they did an MRI just to be sure and I no more than got back from the MRI than the guy was there to put a cast on it. It didn't really hurt at all so I said can't we wait until the doctor looks at the MRI? Well he wasn't having that. So then while he's doing his job the doctor comes in. She tells the guy to stop and that my wrist isn't broken. So good news for me.

Now for the last two weeks my wrist has been absolutely killing me. It actually feels like it might broke. I can't use it hardly at all. I'm thinking it's a scaphoid fracture. So if it is in fact broke. I'll have to have a cast that holds my thumb out straight. I'm trying to think of the logistics of this. How will I be able to do anything? I doubt I'll be able to push my chair or stop it for that matter. I won't be able to grip much I wouldn't think? Any ideas? Has anyone ever had any experience with this?

It would be handy to know what you injury level is. I've pushed a chair with a cast on (I'm a para): glued old inner tube to the cast. And back 35 years ago a quad ( I think his name was Jimbo) that broke his wrist, "invented a new way to push his racing chair, that became known as "chicken winging" and it changed chair racing. Everybody used it. So you never know.

It would be helpful to know not only your injury level but what you mean when you say "anything". Are you thinking of transfers? Dressing? Caths? What does that include?

You may have to rent a power chair while it heals. But first things first. You need to be looked at again and see what is going on and how it needs to be managed.
    Do it as soon as you can.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It would be helpful to know not only your injury level but what you mean when you say "anything". Are you thinking of transfers? Dressing? Caths? What does that include?

You may have to rent a power chair while it heals. But first things first. You need to be looked at again and see what is going on and how it needs to be managed.
    Do it as soon as you can.

ckf
    Yeah sorry I forgot to put it in my post. I am a complete T9. I'm thinking about transfers, dressing, cathing, and pushing my chair. I'm putting off going to get it checked out but I know I need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    It would be handy to know what you injury level is. I've pushed a chair with a cast on (I'm a para): glued old inner tube to the cast. And back 35 years ago a quad ( I think his name was Jimbo) that broke his wrist, "invented a new way to push his racing chair, that became known as "chicken winging" and it changed chair racing. Everybody used it. So you never know.
    I forgot to say at the start of my post but, I am a complete T9. That was my thought about the rubber too. I'm just probably over thinking it. The thing I'm worried about is not being able to use my thumb. It's probably not a big deal. I've been paying attention to all the stuff I do with it. Mainly because everything I do with it hurts so bad lol.

I broke mine about 35 years ago fell on it doing a transfer. Herd the snap hurt like hell on the to way to Flordia. So I just keep my mouth shut. Them First 2 weeks were tough. After that it got getter but still hurt for 9 months. Did not want to see a doctor cause I did not want cast on it. About 12 years ago my hands were hurting so they took ex ray of them and said I had a break on my right wrist that healed fine other than arthritis. For the Arthritis doc told me to buy a hand heater with wax in it when it hurt. Boy that really help at the time. Have not used it in last 5 years cause my hands don't hurt. Now I need a huge wax tank for my whole body it may help....lol
    I think it was more like a fracture but sure hurt like hell at times. Worse think that bothered it was when I twisted it like using a screw driver. Almost went to the doc a few times I just didn't no how I do the stuff I did back then with a lousy cast on it. If it was really broke like my femur was no doubt I would have gone to er. Since you had ex ray and mri Its most likely a bad sprain. I sprain my ankle a few times when I was a child had them ex rayed no broken bones. I chipped a bone in my ankle in high school playing basketball. Doc wanted to put it in a cast I said do we really have to? No just no more basketball for the year and take a easy on it for 3 months. Only hurt for 2 weeks then was gone. The sprain I had hurt a lot more and lasted 3 months. So sometimes a sprain is worse then a break. As we all no. Guess you will just have to take pain pills and wait it out. Good luck it will get better. At least them heal a SCI don't.
    Last edited by Art454; 04-17-2018 at 04:57 AM.
    Art

If the break is in alignment, then there probably is not a need to cast it, but maybe immobilize it for a couple of weeks to take some of the pain away. It could easily be a sprain or a torn ligament (although I doubt that one), in which case it can take several months to heal. The more you take care of it now, the less likely there will be problems in the future.

If there is swelling or pain, ice helps. 10 minutes every hour or so should do it. Also, NSAIDS may help with the swelling and pain. Keep it elevated and try not to over use it if at all possible.

My recommendation is still to see someone. I think it is better to know what is going on than not to. I think that some simple immobilization may give you some relief and also allow you to keep your independence.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.